BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the "Ultimate Drive Event" this past thursday, I had the chance to test drive the 745i, and boy did i drive it. I'm not bother by the looks so much as the noisy engine when you floor it, unlike the old 740 which was much smoother. Then, there are the controls, for goodness sake, it'd be easier to fly a 747, lemme just say that it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the controls on this piece of S**T you first time around, and last but not least the the car did not feel as quick or handled (maybe it needs the SP) as well as the old 7. One last thing, the interior feels like you are in a someone's living room or in the middle of the forest, you pick, too much wood. Well that's all folks!

On a side note, the car that i couldn't get enough of, was the 540i wagon. What a piece!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
745i

no not really, I used to be, just telling it like it is. I love BMW's but this car has too many knobs, and computer gadgets, and the "car talking" part, oh man! that is so Chrysler Le Baron style "your door is ajar", too 80's for my ass.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
The control system is not hard for me to figure out, but then again, I have the nav system in my 325i so I'm used to it.

What really bothers me is that it is too difficult to use while driving, and that the control knob is too easy to spin--which makes it easy to select the wrong item.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Such crybabies.

It's an interface. It's not much different from other interfaces.

Does your (Beta not VHS) VCR blink "12:00" too?

Adapt or perish.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've found iDrive pretty easy to use. I use it without looking, mos of the time. Also, E65 doesn't tell you your door is ajar. It beeps, like any other bimmer.

I can't comment on the noise level from the engine, I haven't had the pleasure of driving E38's...But I can say that E65's engine rev's very easily, and in my book that is a good thing.

Handling wise, it handles better than anything else in its class (Audi A8, S-classe, Lexus LS), I drove those cars so I know what I'm saying.

King, buy the car and drive it for longer than 2 hours. You'll learn to love it :)
Otherwise, good perishing :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts