BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been quite a BMW fanatic for awhile now, but I'm also young and admittedly I can't afford one at this stage in my life. So instead, I drive a '95 Corolla, but whatever.

Last night, driving on Speedway (a large but low-speed-limited road here in Tucson, AZ) I saw a Bimmer I'm not even sure really exists..

The first thing I noticed were the beautiful lighter-blue-version HIDs in my rear-view (but I'm partial to the deep purple ones), with the dual Angel-Eyes and everything. So I said there must be a nice BMW right behind me, and I pulled from the middle lane into the right lane to let him pass (I always let Beemers pass for some reason ;) ). As the behemoth of a bimmer drove by me, not only did I notice the very large (and frankly too chromed-out rims for me), but I also noticed a very odd color scheme:

Below the tail-light strip that runs horizontally across the trunk on many newer 7-series sedans, the paint was a brilliant white. But above that strip, the paint was sort of a glossy maroon. The badging on the back read "790Li". WHAT?!

I thought the highest models were something in the "760Il" range, but certainly not "790", and certainly not "Li."

Frankly, the number badging didn't look factory. I couldn't tell too well, but it certainly didn't look like the slim silver numbers/letters that are present on most BMWs. From what I saw, they almost looked like beige stickers.

So I figured this person probably painted his car funny, had the model badging removed and added his own 'higher' number to impress people. And I was impressed by his car. :p

But as far as I know, this car doesn't even really exist. A quick google search of "790Li" returns a small handful of foreign sites, one of them (it looked like it may have been in Polish or something similar) bears what looks like a concept drawing of a 790Li. Alas, you must maneuver around on the site to find it, and stop the page prematurely, because it has been hacked recently to include an overlay on the page displaying the name of the hacker(s).

Anyways, what do you all have to say about this mystery car?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Reminds me of my E36 M3 accident.

Rear ended. After body work and paint, the badge goes on.

Well, the got the M right and the 3 wrong.

The badge read "ME" (backwards 3) :mad:

I suspect the 7 series was a victim of an accident and when the lugnut put the badge on he got the 6 upside down. :rofl:

760Li 790Li

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
chuck92103 said:
Reminds me of my E36 M3 accident.

Rear ended. After body work and paint, the badge goes on.

Well, the got the M right and the 3 wrong.

The badge read "ME" (backwards 3) :mad:

I suspect the 7 series was a victim of an accident and when the lugnut put the badge on he got the 6 upside down. :rofl:

760Li 790Li
Probably so, although a 9 liter seven series would be a beast! :yikes: Given that BMW is making 438 out of a 6 I'd guess it'd have around 657 hp. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts