BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
wow... that 24 makes the 22 up front look tiny. sam, whats the reasoning behind big rim in back, smaller up front?

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know what the purpose of that setup was. I wasnt my customer. The only thing I could think of it that the shop that sold the rims couldnt make all 4 24's work, or he wanted a sporty plymouth prowler look.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
so its just for aesthetics? because i think u posted a pic of a maroon ferrari that had smaller rims in the front than the back too. i think it looks pretty stupid... btw, i always thought the prowler was one stupid a$$ car.

·
Certified Enthusiast
576 Posts
i think bigger wheels in the back are a must if your car is pumping out a lot of power and its RWD, also the reason for staggered wheels on cars....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Some cars benefit with the staggered dimension wheels but IMHO, not the 7er.

A lot of old school american muscle "retro rods" adopted this look and pull it off quite well mainly because the ability to "tuck" the rears.

I think Intro has a Ford on 22's in the rears and like 20's up front and it works well.

[edit]
example
OG Camaro:

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think bigger wheels in the back are a must if your car is pumping out a lot of power and its RWD, also the reason for staggered wheels on cars....
i agree, but i think only with width. i dont think it would make a difference if the tire was a 295 regardless of it if was a 20 inch rim or a 22 inch rim. although that camaro does look hot, i think, with the right rims, it would look nicer with the same size wheel all around.

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
i seen that 22/20 setup on the c6... fugly imo, too big for that car. then again, 22s are ridiclously tooo big n fugly for the 6ers say some ppl on some odd forums...

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it is mainly just for aesthetics, even on the retro rods. I would be very very suprised if that Camaro could make those tires hook up. I think that low of a sidewall would make the tires just keep spinning. If you looks at drag racers for example, they have a huge rear wheel and tire setup in the rear with alot of sidewall. When they launch, the sidewall flexes alot and makes those cars hook up easily. Just my 2 cents.

so its just for aesthetics? because i think u posted a pic of a maroon ferrari that had smaller rims in the front than the back too. i think it looks pretty stupid... btw, i always thought the prowler was one stupid a$$ car.
Some cars benefit with the staggered dimension wheels but IMHO, not the 7er.

A lot of old school american muscle "retro rods" adopted this look and pull it off quite well mainly because the ability to "tuck" the rears.

I think Intro has a Ford on 22's in the rears and like 20's up front and it works well.

[edit]
example
OG Camaro:

·
Registered
907 Posts
In most applications yes, the taller sidewall is a benefit but IINM, the fastest Viper on street tires has a 20" rear LOW PROFILE tire. One word: Suspension.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In most applications yes, the taller sidewall is a benefit but IINM, the fastest Viper on street tires has a 20" rear LOW PROFILE tire. One word: Suspension.
True, Kevin and the boys (UG) are flying, but you know that car could be much quicker with a real tire under it. It's impressive to do it the way that they did, but it leaves some on the table. Bad ass none the less! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts