Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the new Z car has been finally roadtested.

the "track" edition is $34k and change.

the HP is about 287hp with 274ft#'s.

the curb weight....eek. 3322lbs.

0-60? 5.4 seconds.
quarter mile? 14.1 seconds @ 101mph.

the rear end is a 3.54:1.

mind you, i'm a tad flabbergasted here. the price is offputting. the acceleration has nothing on an S52 M coupe with 240hp/236ft3's and a rear end of 3.23:1.

ah...that weight thing again? :)

i dunno about this car, folks. i'm sure it handles well, but it's JAGT. (just another GT).

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only thing the Z has over the M roadster is the price.... Also the Z has brembo brakes which are superior to the M roadster brakes according to sources..... no first hand experience though. I will probably test drive a Z when my dealer gets one but otherwise I would stick to the M.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The track edition is the most, or 2nd most expensive version. The same drivetrain is in the base car at $26k.

I agree that the weight IS more than it really should be, though.

But in comparison, a Cooper S weight 2600+ or something, too. :thumbdwn:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
does the track edition come with lighweight materials and is it de-contented?

It should :confused:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um, Kaz's point is the best, i think.

the entry level one is the best best, seemingly, but it might not come with LSD and the brembos.

my goodness, it sure is HEAVY, though. it would need so much less HP if it was, say, 3000 pounds. but, as we know, it's damn expensive to remove weight, especially on a car which is already sharing many parts with maximas and G35s.

given the wheelbase and modern suspension underpinnings, it would slay an M roadster/coupe easily (same driver).

now i'm curious as to how the RX8 turns out, too. it's nice to have options, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It disappoints me. I fingured that with a G35 Coupe in the pipeline they could focus on making the 350Z a serious driver's car with its back turned to luxury. More or less the result of the significant cost savings of using heavy-production parts, though.

Oh, and the RX-8? :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seeing as how the G35 Sedan can outbrake almost a Ferrari 360 Modena I'm guessing the 350Z which is lighter, has the same brake package but with bigger calipers and rotors will have even greater stopping power... The G35 Sedan also has some of the highest slalom speeds, almost equaling that of the E46 M3 (nearly 66 mph on stock tires). The 350Z has a lower and tigher suspension, stickier and wider stock tires, and a shorter wheelbase which should all lend to handling equal or greater than that of the E46 M3...Drop in the supercharger which Nissan is rumored to be producing and you have yourself an M3 killer for well under 40K.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just watch it unfold.

hard to discern much from instrumented testing only.

as much as we hate it or love it, it's far more meaningful in the context of other cars in terms of lap times, road feel, and driveability.

obviously, it will put a lot of cars out because it is a decent pricepoint. now, to put this in perspective, the new SVT cobra (S/C'd), the corvette (standard, not Z06) will smoke this car. on a track, in a straight line. whatever.

will this car make M3 owners wince? i kinda doubt. i'm not sure it's the same demographic. people who put out upwards of $57k for a 3 series, i'm not sure they'd seriously consider a nissan Z car. this car will rock with trackheads who are disappointed with BMW's lack of a sporty car, though.

now that the Z4 is upon us, and it will come with the S54 M motor, that would also be entertaining to compare these two cars then. the Z4 will have basically 3 series suspension underpinnings, so it will be a nice comparison wtih the Z car, the corvette and the rustang. maybe even the WRX Sti and EVO, too.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CaliChris said:
Seeing as how the G35 Sedan can outbrake almost a Ferrari 360 Modena
Cold stopping power, it may come close to the 360, heat those single piston caliper brakes up, and the Ferrari will stop MUCH better EVERY time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't really see how comparing braking to a 360 modena works here.

it's nice to be able to say you're in the same ballpark.....

when in fact, driver for driver, you're so NOT.

lap after lap, coefficient of friction and braking and acceleration favor the lighter, 2900 pound 360 modena. not to mention higher redline (8500) to take advantage of gearing, not to mention midengine weight distribution for polar moment of inertia favorability.

need we write more?

let's cut this silliness out. let's stay on topic, the Z car will slay an M3 (arguable), get its doors kicked in by a corvette (ack), and keep up with the P cars.

fine.

i'd like to see nurburgring laptimes before we start this extrapolation to the 360 modena.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: i don't really see how comparing braking to a 360 modena works here.

blackdawg said:

let's cut this silliness out. let's stay on topic, the Z car will slay an M3 (arguable), get its doors kicked in by a corvette (ack), and keep up with the P cars.
I dunno about that. If we are speaking about the E46 M3, my bet would be that it is faster, the 911s too.

Although, if the Z has fantastic suspension tuning, it could be as fast on the track, but I dunno. Taking a look at pure power-weight ratios, the E46 M3 comes in at 10.255 lb @ pony, the 350Z track edition is 11.237. It would have to have a very good suspension in order to put down better lap times. I don't think it has the trick M3 diff or SMG, so :dunno: I'm not saying that it isn't faster, but I would be suprised.

If it is, we can always pull out the CSL :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Cold stopping power, it may come close to the 360, heat those single piston caliper brakes up, and the Ferrari will stop MUCH better EVERY time.
You forgot the track package comes w/ Brembo 12.8" slotted/cross drilled brakes and 4-pot calipers (front)/ 2 pot calipers (rear) along with the upgraded brake lines, brake booster, and other obligatory parts. No way you're gonna heat those up much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts