BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· HerrDoktorProfessor
4,343 Posts
In college I knew a guy who was the heir to the Dart container fortune. You may ask yourself "Dart container?" never heard of it.
However, if you ever drank out of a styrofoam cup there is a 99% chance it was made by Dart. This guy's family was richer than god.

He once explained to me the intricacies by which really wealthy people work to manage other's opinions of their lifestyles. ridiculous amounts of thought went into deciding just the right car to buy. Overtly flashy displays of wealth were the ultimate sin. His dad's idea of the perfect car was a fully loaded Honda Accord.

· Registered
4,538 Posts
He once explained to me the intricacies by which really wealthy people work to manage other's opinions of their lifestyles. ridiculous amounts of thought went into deciding just the right car to buy. Overtly flashy displays of wealth were the ultimate sin. His dad's idea of the perfect car was a fully loaded Honda Accord.
Yep the families and friends I know with over I'd say 20 million in net worth act far different then the people with net worths in the 1-10 million range.

· Registered
613 Posts
I attended a small New England college in the early 70s that had a good share of wealthy students. The median income was $40,000 a year, equivalent to around $200,000 these days; one classmate had a monthly allowance of $2,000 (he was a billionaire). A very popular student car was the BMW 2002. Considering that BMW NA wasn't created until 1975, they must have bought them from distributors or imported them from Germany.

· Registered
10,634 Posts
I attended a small New England college in the early 70s that had a good share of wealthy students. The median income was $40,000 a year, equivalent to around $200,000 these days; one classmate had a monthly allowance of $2,000 (he was a billionaire). A very popular student car was the BMW 2002. Considering that BMW NA wasn't created until 1975, they must have bought them from distributors or imported them from Germany.
1975? I purchased my first BMW 2002 in 1972 from a BMW dealership in New Paltz, NY. Not sure how long they had been in business but they seemed fairly well established.

· Worlds Foremost Authority
22,293 Posts
From the mid 60s until 1975 BMWs were imported into the US by Austrian born Max Hoffman whose company Hoffman Motors was a pioneer in bringing "Foreign" (i.e. European) cars to the US. During that era BMWs were sold at "Foreign Car" dealerships who generally sold several brands of European cars and in some cases they also sold a brand of American car, Hoffman sold his BMW importing business to the newly formed BMW North America in 1975.

Hoffman was also instrumental in bringing Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar and Alfa Romeo to North America. Not only did he import the cars he made recommendations for new models and modifications to existing models that he thought would do well in the US. Among the cars that he recommended were the Mercedes 300SL (the Gullwing), the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider and the Porsche Speedster. The Jaguar showroom at 430 Park Ave. in NYC that he had designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is still there although today it is a Mercedes Benz Showroom.

CA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.