BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while looking around for a new ride after losing my ZHP i ran into a year 2000 M, with only 23k on the clock,never been dinged or scratched ,and the interior still touches like new...
right to the point, is it necessary to change the brake, differential and tranny fluids along with a fresh oil change? what about the air filter, fuel filter,sparks ...? none of all the previous has been ever changed.the car was not stored but very slightly used by her lady owner..
also the car is sitting on two different sets of tires, PS2 in the front- wearing evenly with half its useful life left,and brand new radial in the rear. so which is better? to buy a new set of four P.N. Zeros and take advantage of Tire rack's limited offer? or just replace the rears with new PS2?i guess both options will cost the same..

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Where did you lose your ZHP? Did you leave the keys in it? All I find, all I keep?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
You may want to find your way to the M forum and search for what to check on the y2k cars. There was an engine recall on pre 2002.5 cars, something about a failing bearing. Other than the usual first year glitches, if the price is right, anything can be fixed IMHO.

Brake fluid every 2 years if OEM, more often if not depending on choice. Mismatched tires, not my bag baby, so I'd replace and start fresh. Tranny and Diff fluids are supposedly lifetime, I wouldn't believe it and would change them after 8 years for sure.

Have it inspected by a good INDEPENDENT mechanic and see how it comes out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may want to find your way to the M forum and search for what to check on the y2k cars. There was an engine recall on pre 2002.5 cars, something about a failing bearing. Other than the usual first year glitches, if the price is right, anything can be fixed IMHO.

Brake fluid every 2 years if OEM, more often if not depending on choice. Mismatched tires, not my bag baby, so I'd replace and start fresh. Tranny and Diff fluids are supposedly lifetime, I wouldn't believe it and would change them after 8 years for sure.

Have it inspected by a good INDEPENDENT mechanic and see how it comes out.
ya,my ZHP was totaled 2 weeks ago and I was a regular here. I came back for advice as the crowd here are knowledgeable and friendly, and my questions were about general basics,nothing too specific..
Anyways the car was sold over night,not meant to be i guess,so i am car hunting again..

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
ya,my ZHP was totaled 2 weeks ago and I was a regular here. I came back for advice as the crowd here are knowledgeable and friendly, and my questions were about general basics,nothing too specific..
Anyways the car was sold over night,not meant to be i guess,so i am car hunting again..
Well, many M models do require more maintenance than their non-M counterparts (M3 requires 10W60 oil and doesn't use lifetime fluids, for instance). The S52 M Coupe is probably more like the 330 in terms of maintenance than the M3, but the experts over in that forum would probably know more.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Is a "new" ZHP in your future maybe?? Don't forget - 2005 models, 3.9% financing (2.9% for 36 months) and they make the first two payments.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I missed that post. I'm guessing you came out OK? I'll have to do a little searching for your report.

edit: oh, yeah, I saw your post. Glad at least you weren't in the car. I'm kinda surprised they totaled it. I thought there was a fair chance it wouldn't be since the damage was virtually all cosmetic.

If you're not already, be sure to check the classifieds here and over at E46Fanatics. There are quite a few ZHPs for sale on E46Fanatics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts