1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumb:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
How much range are you getting out of it, and is Turbo mode (72mbps) noticeably faster? I'm happy with the performance of my 802.11b but it sucks when my 2.4GHz cordless phone decides to take up the same spredspectrum space.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
cool, what kindda of real data rate and range do u get with it? and what equipment do you have? I'm pretty happy with my Linksys gear in my apartment, but I will definitely need better range. Of course the high data rate the better as well!

tell us more!

--Andrew

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, in the couple of hours that I've been using it, I've not been able to get turbo mode to work.
OTOH, it seems to be waffle between 36 and 48Mbps while active. I'm currently only about 8 meters away from the transmitter, but there is at LEAST 18 inches of concrete and metal between me and the access point.

I'm using the Actiontec access point and cardbus card. (Cheap and the actiontec cards I've had in laptops have traditionally been quite good.)

I'll test out the range soon and report back.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Kaz said:
How much range are you getting out of it, and is Turbo mode (72mbps) noticeably faster? I'm happy with the performance of my 802.11b but it sucks when my 2.4GHz cordless phone decides to take up the same spredspectrum space.
From out here in the parking lot, I can see that he's getting an average of 52mbps. Also, your Outlook calendar appointment to send your mother flowers doesn't have a reminder check. It says she likes roses. Don't forget! :D ;)

--gary

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, after a few more hours with this stuff, I have to give a big :thumbdwn: Apparently poor reliability through walls is endemic to 802.11a... I just can't make the connection stable enough to REALLY use it.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
OK, after a few more hours with this stuff, I have to give a big :thumbdwn: Apparently poor reliability through walls is endemic to 802.11a... I just can't make the connection stable enough to REALLY use it.
Strictly from a technical standpoint, that makes sense. All things being equal, he higher the frequency, the tougher it is to get it to work reliably through physical obstructions like walls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts