Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
So long story short. I noticed heavy idling and also smoke from the exhaust after idling for a while. While searching for heavy idling I came across CCV and thought I should check mine. One of the valve diaphragm was busted. I replaced it and also replaced the breather hose which had lost of yellowish oil residue. After replacing there is still smoke but less after idling for a while. I rechecked the diaphragm and the breather pipe. Diaphragms are fine but there is new oil in the breather pipe.
I saw some oil stuck in the insides of the the air intake. I was also trying to see if the tensioner pulley is making noise for the rough idle. Upon openings the air intake to get access to tensioner pulley. I noticed some oil/coolant leaking in between the intake and valve cover. Looks like a connection of a pipe to the engine is busted. See pictures attached
. Can anyone suggest what the leak is and what else can I do about smoke from the tail pipe after idling for a while. Oh yea forgot to mention the engine light came on today but there aren't any miss fires.
Thank you.
Video link
https://youtu.be/hHmepW1G1Ic

Attachments

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
Thee CCV needds to be in proper order, Or your gonna burn oil and gum up the motor and eventually end up needing rings or seals,

The coolant system is serviced like the picture i posted shows

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
youll also want to do the hose that goes from the expansion tank to the head, the heater return tube, the valley pan, the valley pan coolant return tube, the heater hose's on the fire wall and the coupling tube behind the water pump all at the same time..

while your there replacing your intake mainifold gaskets as well..

Comes out to around 500$ worth of parts , and a few hours of labor.. pretty easy job

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a lot of work. So is the leaking stuff coolant or oil? Your pictures looks like I need to replace coolant transfer pipe ?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
That leak looks like it might be coolant and oil. That area is where you would find coolant if your valley pan is leaking. If your valve cover has a leak there it could be pooling with the coolant. I just did the job Burning2nd described on my X5. Same engine. I also have a 550i with the same engine that had the work done. It's more than a few hours to get in there to fix it and replace all the associated parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually there is a y-hose that connects where all that is built up. Looks like yours is leaking from that connection. IMG_0737.jpg bad picture but the red circled spot is where the y-hose connects and where you have that coolant collecting. IMG_0738.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Under the lift arms
12,939 Posts
The pictures ive posted.. are what it is to remove the intake.. Something ever v8 owner must do.. just like the mustang guys must do..

pulling the intake on a german v8 is super easy

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
At least the starter isn't under the intake like a northstar cadillac. I pulled my bosses intake to change his starter just to find out the nut for the power wire worked loose.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The y-hose may stop the coolant leak in the picture but the smoke from your exhaust would probably be unrelated. I wouldn't expect the smoke to decrease. Smoke after idling is typically the valve stem seals failing. Doesn't have to be but the idle test is how it is diagnosed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least the starter isn't under the intake like a northstar cadillac. I pulled my bosses intake to change his starter just to find out the nut for the power wire worked loose.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Sucks. I am afraid once I start opening I'll notice other stuff that needs replacement

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The y-hose may stop the coolant leak in the picture but the smoke from your exhaust would probably be unrelated. I wouldn't expect the smoke to decrease. Smoke after idling is typically the valve stem seals failing. Doesn't have to be but the idle test is how it is diagnosed.

From what I have been reading on the forum is that if its valve stems then smoke start right after starting the engine.
I rechecked the ccv hose/breather and noticed some oil on it after replacing it with new. The diaphragms are all still intact and new

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
def look like coolant, and your valve cover gasket could be leaking from the top of the cover.

if you haven't already id replace the valve cover gaskets, and do the coolant job all in one, that way you have extra room to easily work, youll have to remove the fuel rails and injectors for the coolant pipe job, and for the vcg job that will make it easier to remove/install the cover back on, me personally I didnt have to but if this is your first time, then i would take the opportunity

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
def look like coolant, and your valve cover gasket could be leaking from the top of the cover.

if you haven't already id replace the valve cover gaskets, and do the coolant job all in one, that way you have extra room to easily work, youll have to remove the fuel rails and injectors for the coolant pipe job, and for the vcg job that will make it easier to remove/install the cover back on, me personally I didnt have to but if this is your first time, then i would take the opportunity
Valve cover was replaced twice. Once when the dealer said it was leaking. But leaking didn't stop and then dealer said its timing chain covers. So got both timing chain covers replaced and valve cover gaskets again.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The fuel rails and injectors can stay installed on the intake when you remove it to do the coolant pipe. No need to remove.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts