BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope you can help me figure this one out

just bought 318i #2 from a coworker... lets just say she's no Einstein. She had a dead battery, and when she went to replace it.... you guessed it.... switched the cables around...

the car gets just enough fuel from the cold start injector to fire, then dies immediately

ok, now let me tell you what I've done.... I purchased an ECU from the local salvage yard. The old one was obviously gone because pieces of one of the chips was broken off and ratttling around inside.

I have replaced the battery, and checked the alternator. There is fuel pressure accumulating at the fuel rail at about 40 lbs. there is spark.. and pulse at the injectors. I believe that the pulse may not be quite enough to activate the injectors

The car will run as long as you spray carb cleaner in the intake.

Did I get a bad ECU or is there something else I need to be looking for that could cause the pulse at the injectors to be weak??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Ken

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow...it could be a host of things becuase the electrical system really craps out when you reverse the cables. check the cold start injector. Also, check the ICU....how's the coil? Did all the fuses survive? You have a fuse that controls the fuel pump...also there is a relay for the fuel pump as well...all cheap stuff...especially if you hit a salvage yard and pull the parts yourself...good luck...keep tuning in and updating

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, after nearly a month of scratching my head, I replaced the fuel pump relay after the fuel pump stayed on several minutes after shutting off the key. The car still wouldn't run I pinched off the fuel return from the pressure regulator to see if it would make any difference if the fuel pressure was higher than the specified 32 to ?? lbs. It started right up as soon as the fuel pressure reached 95 lbs. When I released the pressure it returned to the specified pressure just like before and ran excellent, even drove the car around to the car wash etc. Here I am two days later, went over to do some more work on it, ei..put part of the newly reupholstered blue velvet seats in.....and it won't start again! fuel pressure just as before, got spark, pulse at injectors....fuel coming from injectors... What did I overlook?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts