BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased 86 735i from a friend. It gets a whopping 15.5 mpg in the city. Any ideas to improve mpg or do i just live with it?

·
Registered
19,863 Posts
rickburby said:
Recently purchased 86 735i from a friend. It gets a whopping 15.5 mpg in the city. Any ideas to improve mpg or do i just live with it?
Get rid of all the extra weight that you don't need in the car. Get some light weight wheels. See if you can save 5lbs. per wheel. New Fuel filter, plugs , wires. Cat may be clogged as well if it wasn't ever changed in the last 18-19 years. Get a new Better flowing Catalytic converter. Pretty much all you can do, if it is a manual, you can put a light weight flywheel in there as well. Other then that, buy a new Honda Accord :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
rickburby said:
15.5 in the city isn't bad. I've got an '89 I've had for years and frankly never paid that much attention to it but if you want a little better mileage, lighten the foot and roll slowly up to red lights so when they change, you're still rollin. I think more than anything some attention to how you drive can substantially improve city mpg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts