BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

A good friend of mine recently gifted me a 89 E30 with 165K miles. the body and interior is in a great condition besides typical wear and tear that comes with 20 years old age. however, the automatic transmission hangs in the first gear when i start the car in the morning until the car had the time to warm up and the abruptly it shifts into 2nd and higher gears. Once the car is warmed up the gear shifts fine but I am wondering if its something I can take it to a shop and easily fix or something that will require a entire replacement of the transmission.

Thanks guys in advance...

·
Registered
174 Posts
i would fist check the fluid and the filter, it sounds like the fluid is not the correct viscosity and as it warms up it works good same as filter could be very dirty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh.... I took the car to EZ lube for major fluid exchange which included transaxel fluid drainage and refill. I hope they did their job so that only leaves the filter. I will have to have a mechanic take a look and see if it need replacement. How much should I be expecting for such replacement?

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
catalytic converter? damn those are pretty costly to replace no?
Did replacing the catalytic converter immediately fix your problem? also when I start the car the car idles up and down and up and down... it hiccups. did you also have this problem as well?

·
obsessed
806 Posts
catalytic converter? damn those are pretty costly to replace no?
Did replacing the catalytic converter immediately fix your problem? also when I start the car the car idles up and down and up and down... it hiccups. did you also have this problem as well?
Yes it fixed it immediately. Those are seperate problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey john,
did you end up replacing the entire assembly (the pipe line and all that) or did you end up replacing and welding in the cat converter?

·
obsessed
806 Posts
I had it cut out and a new one welded in. The BMW oem one is like 600$ or 700$ and one from autozone or advance is like 150$ and has worked great for me for over 2 years.

·
obsessed
806 Posts
You can probably check if it is you cat causing this problem by taking your exhaust off while your car is cold and then drive it and see if it shifts right. I spent lots of time and money trying to fix this problem before I figured out it was my cat. I think this test may be able to confirm it for you, because I know most people would never think this would be a part that would make a transmission shift like that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
wow, when you replaced your cat did you use a single car or are you running dual cats.

·
Registered
174 Posts
so does your manifold go down to one pipe because my does not it stays as two

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
yeh john the etas to 2 to one at the cat but dont the IS's go 2 all the way back
well mine is 6 into 2 all the way to ct where it is wider and single, and then when it exits the cat it goes back into 2 down to the 318i muffler where it goes back into 1 and exits as one (and then through my tip into 2 but you cant count that haha

·
obsessed
806 Posts
or you look at yours. M20 should have twin pipes more or less the whole way back
yeh john the etas to 2 to one at the cat but dont the IS's go 2 all the way back
I'm sorry, it really isnt that noticeable but the front end of the converter actually merges into 1. Two pipes down to the cat change to 1 at the cat and back to 2 out and to the muffler.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts