BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

90' 525i SRS Light

2097 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  E34ZombieHunter
So my car has had an srs light, and knowing my scan tools would never work... I took the car to a local mechanic, who after telling me every computer (ecm, transmission computer, abs, etc) was broken and not working :tsk: connected the correct scan tool and told me that the airbag was bad. After not bothering to look it up, He also told me that,"They probably don't make the replacement for that anymore," the replacement, used, he said costs 300$. And that the labor is 300$ to replace it. I have three questions.
  1. Do they still make those airbags?
  2. How much do they cost for real, new or otherwise?
  3. Is that reasonable labor charges? I'm not messing with airbags.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Ok first off go FIND another mechanic. Dude your talking to is a complete idiot. You can get a used air bag on ebay for cheap. It is literally 2 screws in the back of the steering wheel if i remember right they are t-20 screws in male, and 1 plug and 30 min of your time and it can be changed.

Alpina
It would take you 15min to change it at most.
Once the car finds the fault fixed, it will then turn off the light and the system will go back to normal.

BUT, Im willing to bet that the airbag is not the issue, but actually the clock-spring. It is inside the steering wheel, and powers the airbag via contact strips since wires would break from turning. Over time these wear down, much like an alternator contacts, and the part needs to be replaced, it causes the car to not be able to communicate with the airbag thinking it has gone bad.
And you're both fine with working on airbags?
Also would I know if I had an M-tech wheel, is that from an m5?
Cool, my srs light is on as well in my '94. Hopefully they all mean the same. Question, what scan tool works for these older models by the way?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You can buy a cheap srs scanner on ebay and find the problem yourself. The air bags are find to be worked on just unplug the battery. Good luck!

Alpina
Nice, thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
'94 and up can use the cheap Chinese ebay scan tools. But '93 and earlier do not work with that tool!
You would know, it is unique, three spoke, the bottom spoke at 6 o'clock has a ///M symbol on it.

Unhook the battery an hour before to be safe, i don't like to touch airbags, but it is part of working on a car, and do my best to not touch it(i found a way to remove my instrument cluster w/o removing the airbag/steering wheel so i do not have to touch the bag).
And you're both fine with working on airbags?
Also would I know if I had an M-tech wheel, is that from an m5?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.