BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here cause I've been on almost every bmw forum looking for an answer and still haven't gotten it. So, i thought i bent a valve driving out of my neighborhood a few weeks ago, i drove right back home and parked it. Started dismantling the head when i thought to myself that the noise couldve just been a bad exhaust leak. I put the new head studs back in, replaced all the coolant hoses (while refilling the cooling system i spilt coolant all over my alternator, c109 connector for my injectors, and oil pan to chassis ground strap), and hooked every sensor back up. I installed the new exhaust gaskets and jumped in the car and turned the key, nothing. Not even a solenoid click. I charge the battery but it wont hold a charge, so i replace the battery. The engine cranks over fine just wont start. I check for fuel and spark. Fuel, yes. Spark, no! I replace the ignition coil and still no spark. I replace spark plugs and still no spark.
So far i have replaced the following and still getting no spark;
Battery
Ignition Coil
Spark Plugs
Fusible Link
Crank Position Sensor
Cap and Rotor
Oil pan to chassis ground strap

I took a look at the ecu yesterday and everything looks mint.
Im at a loss of what to do. The only things i can even think of would be the ignition switch (i have no idea where thats at or what it looks like) or maybe the main relay. I know i have power to the relay though. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,738 Posts
WHY did you think you bent a valve that started you down this path?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHY did you think you bent a valve that started you down this path?
Well, i was driving down the road when i took a right turn at a moderate speed. I depressed my clutch while making the turn then threw it into 3rd. Right when i started giving it gas after the turn i heard this terrible noise. I thought i broke a rocker arm or a valve spring. I drove it home immediately and pulled the valve cover. To my surprise, everything was in perfect shape. No broken arm, no broken spring. There werent even metal shavings in the head. I could start the car no problem and it would idle at an average rpm of 600-800 (if i remember correctly, its been a while since i drove the car) I could turn it on and off and it would stay running. The car decided to stop working when i dismantled all the sensors and coolant system from the head. Also, i never actually pulled the head off and i most certainly didnt touch anything that had to do with the timing of the vehicle. I didnt even pull off the ignition cap until i replaced it AFTER i hooked everything back up. Sorry for the novel, i just want to give you as much info as i possibly can. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you turn the crankshaft manually ?
It's possible that "horrible noise" was coming from the bottom end of the block.
And the ignition switch is located on the side of the steering column behind the turn signal switch.
Yes, i can still turn it manually. I also suspected i spun a bearing, but i used a stethoscope on the oil pan and i didnt hear any significant noise. Do you think its possible that it could be the ignition switch of maybe the main relay? Thanks for your help!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,738 Posts
There's a possibility the noise was the starter. Making the turn may have shorted the starter circuit and engaged the starter with the engine already running. Check your wiring between the ignition switch and starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1564-USA-07-1986-E30-BMW-325e&diagId=32_0854
Here's a diagram for my '87, but I'm pretty sure yours is the same.
I don't think it would hurt to check the ignition switch and relay. If everything is connected correctly, and the switch and relay are good, the only other thing I could possibly think of would be the ignition control unit.
Ill probably go pull one from a junk car at pick n pull and see if that does anything. Would there be any way of checking to see if the ICU is bad? Also, thanks so much for the help, i really really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a possibility the noise was the starter. Making the turn may have shorted the starter circuit and engaged the starter with the engine already running. Check your wiring between the ignition switch and starter.
I think one of the smaller wires that go to my starter have a bad connection on the crimp, so ill cut the wire and put a new crimp loop on it. Thanks so much for your help, my father recently died and im in desperate need to get this car running again so i can start working again. Lol being a kid sucks.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
30,738 Posts
Hey guys, it's ECU (engine control unit) or DME (digital motor electronics). Either is correct. ICU isn't. Let's keep the acronyms to some standard, OK? Just to prevent confusion to the newbies. Errors like that get repeated, and then no one knows what you're talking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, it's ECU (engine control unit) or DME (digital motor electronics). Either is correct. ICU isn't. Let's keep the acronyms to some standard, OK? Just to prevent confusion to the newbies. Errors like that get repeated, and then no one knows what you're talking about.
Lol i thought that the "ICU" was the "ignition control unit". That started to confuse the hell out of me, i thought there was someother computer in the car that i didnt know about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But anyways let's sum up what you've done/checked and we can go from there
Thats always been the "Idle Control Valve" to me! I havent had a the time to go over everything yet. What do you think i should start to check first? Ive checked all my fuses, all the sensors and everything seems to be okay. It just doesnt make any sense. Im getting voltage at my cap and rotor, just not to the spark plugs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts