BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Transplanted JrzyBoy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While perusing the forums and the Bentley manual, I was surprised to find references to the auto transmissions possibly being made by General Motors? Is this possible? Real OEM lists the unit as A4S-310R. I should have been given a clue that this IS a possibility when the Bentley manual states that transmission pan bolts could be either SAE (US) or metric. GM making BMW transmission? Pigs do fly, I guess. On the other hand, it's been running solid since day one, so no complaints about Detroit!

Now, here the thing. I do believe there is a transmission dipstick, as Bently says early production runs had them. I pop open the hood and indeed there is a black cap on a long tube. My question is...how do you get the flipping thing out. I just rebuilt an E36 OBC, and a lot of admonitions are to proceed cautiously and slow with wiggling things. I can't seem to wiggle or twist or turn the thing out.

Anybody got any advice?

Regards,

Christen

·
Transplanted JrzyBoy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bentley says otherwise, in early production runs before they eliminated them. They reference it in the manual, and I've no idea what that black tube thing is at the back of the motor that sure LOOKS like a filler tube for a transmission (drivers side, 525i) Thing is, it's sorts sealed, and I've no idea if that's the fill tube for when I do a transmission fluid change. Thanks for the GM info. I wonder if the public was aware of GM being a subcontractor for BMW transmissions. I had no idea.

Regards,

Christen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ross1 is totally correct I couldn't figure out how to check it i pushed the cap sideways and the damn thing popped right off! Good call man thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That was strange to me at first. When i got the touring (M50) there was no tyranny dipstick. I had never seen a car that did not have one. My Sedan (M20 automatic) had one... And yes, It took me a minute or to to figure out how to pull the dip stick LOL...

·
Registered
22 Posts
hell yeah ALL HAIL ROSS 1!! I heard it may be a rumor but ross1 is the think tank behind the hubble satelite... might be a rumor not too sure ha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.