BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bimmerfanatic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 4 cylinder 3 series and when i rev it. It will start to feel like fuel cuts out once reaching 3,200 Rpm. It also does the same concern at 60mph... Has anyone had similar issue. I check fault codes and i got 1. 17 Front left inlet valve fault. Front Right inlet Valve. Last seven of Vin: NJA02775. No DME faults PRESENT :yikes:
Can anyone help me solve this issue. Please!!!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Almost same problem

I have 1995 318i M42. My car has started stalling in all 5 gears at almost exactly 2500rpm. I have been told by multiple sources that this is due to a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor/switch). I would welcome other opinions also. I have the TPS ordered. If it does fix it I will let you know.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,082 Posts
Sounds logical to me.

Where are you in Alabama?

(I'm 20 miles N of Gulf Shores)

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,082 Posts
Cool. If you're headed this way some time, give a heads-up and we'll get a burger somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TPS was not the problem...or at least not the main problem. Still getting the stall/no power above 3,000 rpm. We tested the Air Flow Meter per the Bentley manual. Getting no resistance at all across terminals 1&2 or 4&5. Not just no change...but no reading at all. I guess I should break down and buy a air flow meter....but I am so, so broke. Any suggestions of a good place to purchase?

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Buy a fuel pressure gauge (~$20 from an auto parts store) and test if your fuel pump is providing the right pressure. (I do not recall what it is offhand but you can get it from the Bentley manual).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you ever heard of a fuel problem causing the car to burn rich. Everything in my experience tells me it is not a fuel problem but an air problem. But this is my first BMW go around so I am very open to suggestions. Still leaning towards the air flow sensor b/c of the lack of resistance when I test it per the bentley manual but I am hoping it is not....so darn expensive.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
I have a 4 cylinder 3 series and when i rev it. It will start to feel like fuel cuts out once reaching 3,200 Rpm. It also does the same concern at 60mph... Has anyone had similar issue. I check fault codes and i got 1. 17 Front left inlet valve fault. Front Right inlet Valve. Last seven of Vin: NJA02775. No DME faults PRESENT :yikes:
Can anyone help me solve this issue. Please!!!!! :dunno:
Fuel filter, spark plugs, coils, fuel pump , and mass air flow sensor was replaced on vehicle. Any other ideas...I got fuel and spark...car has 213,000 miles...
Have you ever heard of a fuel problem causing the car to burn rich. Everything in my experience tells me it is not a fuel problem but an air problem. But this is my first BMW go around so I am very open to suggestions. Still leaning towards the air flow sensor b/c of the lack of resistance when I test it per the bentley manual but I am hoping it is not....so darn expensive.
My response of the fuel pressure gauge was to the OP... Your issue sounds different than his. I haven't looked into it yet. FOr your issue, try http://rockauto.com for a MAF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this problem, however I had a rattle in my exhaust from time to time. So we checked the catalytic converter. Part of it looked like an apple and you could see where it had jammed itself in the pipe blocking the airflow. So have a look at this. Good luck :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.