Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this board and i can't seem to find some problems i have with my 318i that i just got. Just a quick background (and this is to the best of my knowledge) on the 318, it's got 149K on the chassis and something like 40K on the motor. I don't know why the motor was replaced but it looks like crap but runs fine. Whatever, deal with the detailing later. There are some electrical issues and i need a service manual. Which one should i get and where? I saw the one from Bently and i'm thinking about running down to the dealer to get the manual. Good idea or bad idea from the dealer?

Here's the list of problems i have come up with:

1: bad alternator. No big deal, i just took it out. The pivot bolt wasn't even completely on! I'm going to get it rebuilt and i'm wondering if it's possbile to get it rebuilt with more amp or is it just not worth the touble and get a new one with more amp. I read somewhere that one model has more amp and it's a direct fit. T/F?

2: yes, i read that the sun/moonroof is a constant issue. Is it the motor that's bad or is it something else? Anyone figured this one out? If it is the motor, who would i contact to get one for a good price?

3: odd: the rear driverside window switch light stays on no matter what. is there some place online with the electrical schematics in pdf format i can take a look at?

4: the ambient temp computer reads a constant -37C or 36F? bad sensor or connection? where is the sensor anyways? And how do i work the memo feature? I can set the time but not the date. how do i do that?

5: i read somewhere there should be a flashlight inside the glove box. surpise, it's not there. But there are 2 switches in that area. One flip and one stick switch. what are they for?

6: there's a crack right before the O2 sensor. The previous owner and I have tried with a pipe patch to seal it up but it only held for 2 weeks. Is that a [Oops!] part to fix or replace? and what's the cost of getting that repaired?

7: sticky rear brakes. I just moved it a few feet and the most horrid noise came out from the rear. Is it drum or disc? I can't see it since the rims came with hubcraps. It sat around for 6 months with no movement so i guess it's stuck.

8: i'm missing tools in the trunk. Anyone have a pic and detail as to what i should have? All i have is a tow hook, a pipe/wrench and a rod for the pipe/wretch. what else am i missing and where could i get them?

9: The car has a pretty dent from someone that plowed into the rear passenger side fender. Is that part bolted on or welded on? If it's bolted, how do i remove it? I'm thinking about replacing it myself. Not exactly rocket science. If it isn't bolted on, where in North Jersey is a good shop to get it repaired?

10: the front bumper is FUBARed. Any suggestions as to which new bumper to get. Nothing gaudy or expensive. I'll take someone's leftovers if they have one. Yeah, i also have the common plasic frosted headlights. Get the Euro glass ones or should i go with something else all together?

11: the center console where the light switchs are do not light up with the lights on. Normal? I don't think so. What sould i look for to fix it? where are some of the connections? I have come to notice that all lights in that cluster are connected as one. So if one's not going to lit, none of the others will either. I think i figured out how to take apart the center console but anything i should be aware of when i take it apart? Any sneaky setup in there?

12: recalls? BMW dealer will take care of this with no hassle? Any BMW dealer or any particular North Jersey BMW i should avoid?

13: Battery. The one that's in the car when i got it has a slight (3mmX1mm) cut resulting in some battery acid spilling out. Not good. But i have a spare battery here (an AC Delco, i know it's not the greatest but it's the only one i have laying around) but it doesn't quite fit. Seems like i need a special termial placed battery, yes? no?

Sorry for the grocery list of problems. Just want it to get it working so i make it as my daily and take my 93 300ZX twinturbo off the road and make that as my weekend car. TIA!!!

PS: feel free to IM me or e-mail me with solutions or help.

Once again: TIA!!

Dan

I posted this on another BMW forum and thought i'd also post here to get more help.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS:

The car sounds all F'ed up but i got it for free so i'm not complaining. Just want to bring it up to spec.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one? Not even one answer to my plethria of problems?

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Re: PS:

good thing u put in this disclaimer. sure sounds like a lot of problems if u paid for it.

maybe try ur local BMW CC chapter for help?

chivas said:
The car sounds all F'ed up but i got it for free so i'm not complaining. Just want to bring it up to spec.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: PS:

ChrisTO said:
good thing u put in this disclaimer. sure sounds like a lot of problems if u paid for it.

maybe try ur local BMW CC chapter for help?

Don't know any BMW CC around here and the one that i knew disappreared AFAIK.

as for the problems.. well, it's just little things and common things like the sunroof. Well known problem. and the Ambient temp computer/sensor. I finally read up on a lot of search (i even stopped reading the Z forum to read the search on all the BMW forums i could find) and some answers came about. Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts