BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a year and a half of no window's sunroof or doorlocks working I bit the bullet and took my beloved Beemer to German Auto here in Santa Maria,CA.....Here is exactly what they did to fix my car word for word from the invoice.....Checked all fuses (good ) Attempted communication with body control module: No communication. Tested power at window switches (good) Checked powers and ground at body module and relay module: Power missing at relay module..Obtained wiring diagrams for electrical circuit. Access wiring harnesses and traced power supply issue to corroded and broken wiring at one of the harness splices. Reparied wiring and reassembled. Power windows, sunroof, interior lighting and door locks are now operational..........Total cost 359.35....and worth every penny...I tried everything I could think of short of pulling up the carpet and tracing down the wiring....I guess I should have done that too..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Woa, ya, not a single window will roll down in mine anymore, lol. They sound like they're trying, so i'm thinking it's simply motors or something getting old. as for my sunroof, well, the car came from the auto auction entirely missing the switch to use it, lol.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well, after a year and a half of no window's sunroof or doorlocks working I bit the bullet and took my beloved Beemer to German Auto here in Santa Maria,CA.....Here is exactly what they did to fix my car word for word from the invoice.....Checked all fuses (good ) Attempted communication with body control module: No communication. Tested power at window switches (good) Checked powers and ground at body module and relay module: Power missing at relay module..Obtained wiring diagrams for electrical circuit. Access wiring harnesses and traced power supply issue to corroded and broken wiring at one of the harness splices. Reparied wiring and reassembled. Power windows, sunroof, interior lighting and door locks are now operational..........Total cost 359.35....and worth every penny...I tried everything I could think of short of pulling up the carpet and tracing down the wiring....I guess I should have done that too..........
Simultaneous failure of windows locks and sunroof are symptomatic of a blown 7.5 amp fuse under the back seat. And that would usually be coupled with wipers that only work on high. But wiring can do the same depending on what wires are fubar. The price you paid for electrical troubleshooting can't be beat. :thumbup: I am only hoping that the mechanic did not beat you.

But if you trust the mechanic or already knew for sure about the 7.5 amp fuse being good, that's great. The wires that were bad had to originate from that fuse block at the 7.5 amp fuse.

greatest thing is that you are up and running again. :):):)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Keep that mechanic. He outlines a thorough, logical trouble shooting approach. You paid for an expert and got one in this case.
People scrap cars over problems like you had that so called experts can't figure out so continue to throw parts at it hoping for a fix.
Nothing worse than paying for a mechanic's education.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounded like your mechanic approached the problem in the correct manner, a systematic process of elimination. Not a bad price, especially in Santa Maria. Your alternative could have been to take it to an inexperienced mechanic who would have created additional problems and worse, replaced parts needlessly. Happens all the time. Don't sweat the price, your paying for experience and that is not easy to come by these days.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
I concur with Rick and Ross. Sometimes you just have to pay for what the knowledge and experience can do.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem in my 95 530i. If there is anything other than what has been listed here please let me know. Thanks guys

I'm new to the forum and beams in general, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any links with diagrams or pictures that's shows how to replace fuses and or the amps under the backseat ? Thanks guys. This is my initiation into beamerhood. I plan on passing. Dont want to get rid of my girl. This is the only girl I'll ever try to save lol

Seriously though :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My rear right window switch powers the motor for upward movement of glass. To roll down there is no power to the motor. Defective switch, I guess. Can it be repaired/replaced individually at the front console or the set of 4 switches together has to be replaced?
Can someone enlighten please???

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any one that has windows that dont work but you hear then trying to. Try this inexpencive fix. regulator clips wear out.
Thanks Lucky. :)
But where do these regulator clips go. Door panel switch area or central switch console area?

·
Lucky to drive a BMW
1,356 Posts
Thanks Lucky. :)
But where do these regulator clips go. Door panel switch area or central switch console area?
Yes in the door ,Get Bentleys manual. there are two slide clips per door,they wear out and jump out of the track. Remove door panel . At bottom of window.these slide into the bottom window track then the regulator arm snaps into the clips. Use silicone spray on every thing that moves in the door,and important to silicone lube rubber window guides so the window will smoothly ride in the rubber seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes in the door ,Get Bentleys manual. there are two slide clips per door,they wear out and jump out of the track. Remove door panel . At bottom of window.these slide into the bottom window track then the regulator arm snaps into the clips.
Got it. Thanks a lot.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts