BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how will my 540i take to the downgrade in gas quality, besides the decrease in performance? I'll be moving (driving the car) back to CA and am just curious about this. I'm sure many of you in california have no problem with the 91, but for a car that's had 93 all it's life, will any problems arise?

how the heck do all those ferraris out there do it? additives?

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
The highest readily available in WA state is 92 octane. Arco used to sell 91 octane, but since purchased by BP, they have raised the octane to 92, and quit using the 10% ethanol blend as well. I never noticed any difference between using 91 and 92 octane in my 540 or my Ferraris.

I have to admit, that I am supposed to use 93 in the 540, as I did the Dinan software upgrade, which is optimized around 93 octane (according to them), but oh well. So you lose 2-4hp, whos' gonna know?

If you read the owners manual it mentions only requiring 91 IIRC...

Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a dinan supercharged 540i and it seems to run fine on 91 octane. I have put in an octane booster for fun but to tell you the truth I couldn't tell the difference at all. One thing that does happen is my gas milage goes down significantly (almost into the single digits) if I don't put a fuel injector cleaner in with the gas every ten weeks or so. I am not sure if that is because the gas is of crappy quality here in CA or that is just something to do with my car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use mostly 91 octane, sometimes i use 94 octane. You see quite a difference in performance and pick up of your car with the higher octane. I always try to get gas near my workplace which offers 94 octane. At sunoco. Im sure they would have 93 or 94 unleaded gas there too in california, and if they don't i guess you don't have any choice.

I was just wondering why don't gas companies offer higher grade fuels in very gas station. I mean its this day and age, that we need something higher than 91 octane.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U2fanatic said:
One thing that does happen is my gas milage goes down significantly (almost into the single digits) if I don't put a fuel injector cleaner in with the gas every ten weeks or so. I am not sure if that is because the gas is of crappy quality here in CA or that is just something to do with my car.
probably crappy gas quality, where do you fill up at? I always used chevron and I'll most likely be using it when I return, unless of course there's something better :dunno:

Anyone else in cali have fuel injector problems?

Planning on shipping the car back during december, the drive is just NOT worth it.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMW528i_Bilal said:
I use mostly 91 octane, sometimes i use 94 octane. You see quite a difference in performance and pick up of your car with the higher octane.
When I first got the car I used 93 octane because I thought it was the highest available 'rating' in NY-NJ, UNTIL I happened to stop by a sunoco one day and took a gander at that 94 ULTRA :yikes:. I HAD to fill up with that and boy oh boy, there IS a difference. I know it's only 1 octane (93-94) but the 94 just felt so much more alive and you get more mpg out of it [well the readings on my obc show 400-450 as opposed to the normal 350-380].

ugh, the dreaded 91 octane @ what is it now? $3.10/gal ?

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
SoCaLE39 said:
just buy some dynotab octane pills. They use them in Japan to raise octane levels when dynoing, tuning, etc. Ill see if i can get a picture of what they look like for you guys....they are pretty cool!
Yes I would be interested in some of those. Please list where to purchase as well.

I have always used 91 living here in LA all my life. I also use Chevron that supposedly has cleaners in the gas, so I never used Fuel Injector cleaner as well. Maybe I should try it, it cannot hurt the car right?

also - Ketchup...once you get to LA make sure you hollah at a brother. We need to meet up and take some "twin" car photos ya know?

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
socal39 > that's what I was looking for. something to raise the octane rating safely. there's got to be something on the market that'l magically change that 91 to 93. Wish there was 93-94 avail. in cali.
AsianImage said:
also - Ketchup...once you get to LA make sure you hollah at a brother. We need to meet up and take some "twin" car photos ya know?
definately :thumbs: I'll be in west LA or Alhambra

540m-sport > yea I stumbled upon that before during a search. I just don't want to use 91 for a few years then have some negative effeect from it. maybe i'll just use the cleaners like fanatic

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
come to Alhambra...I am literally 10 mins away!

West LA tho...uggh traffic!

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i don't give a crap who's gas i'm getting... just as long as it's 93 and cheap, i'm happy. the gulf by me is $2.65. Costco: $2.61. is it worth for me to drive 10 miles to costco and back for that .04c? but yeah.. Costco has pretty decent gas however some say it's high in sulfur. not sure what's up with this though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.