BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno:

Hi. My E36 convert right rear window will not operate. Cleaned all the switches and all the others worked fine. Swapped out the rear window switches with same result. I need to get at the window motor and wiring but can't figure out removal of the rear seat side cover. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, need to remove the upper portion of the back seat as it is rotted and will be replaced. What's that procedure, anybody know? Thanks mucho!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
With the door open slide the center panel of the rear side panel forward to release it. You'll then have access to the interior area.

To remove the back seat back rest you first pull out the head rests. The support posts for the head rests hold the upper portion of the seat back cushion in place. Once the headrests are out, pull out and upward on the bottom edge of the seat back. The headrests can be pretty tough to get out the first time. You'll want to put the top down so you can stand in the back seat and get the most force on them. You may need to lube the shafts with some WD40 or similar, push them all the way DOWN, then yank them up rapidly to get them to release. If you pull to the top of the travel and then try to get them to come out it's nearly impossible.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can also pull out the rear seat back from the top. I do it to tuck in a dog seat cover to keep it neatly in place as my lab/golden mix loves to sit in back ala Miss Daisy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info for the back seat. As far as the side panel is concerned, I did slide out the access panel and removed the speaker assembly. I could not see or access the window motor/lift assembly to work on it. Also did not see any other fasteners that were retaining the side panel in place. Are there any pics available out there that someone can post for this?

Thanks.
:dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts