BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I cannot fill up my tank at the gas station. I pump about $5-10 worth if gas when almost on empty and then the gas tank thinks it's full. Some gas even begins to overflow as if it isn't getting fully into the tank. I have a locking gas cap so I know no one has vandalized it. Is this an electrical sensor type issue? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think your charcoal canister is clogged. You can disconnect it, but you will start to throw Service Engine Soon codes. I think it is located in the rear fender. As far as I know, the only solution is to replace it.

rp

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Both suggestions (redpicker & algatou) could be your issue.
To better understand what's going on :
The gas vapors from the tank are sucked in the charcoal canister and after that through a hose they are pushed in the air/fuel mixture to help the combustion and keep the emissions low. There is a valve that controls the amount of vapors usage. It is called Canister Purge Control Valve . This Valve is located near your oil filter housing. Usually makes an constant audible click when the engine is idling. Listen or put your hand on it and you should feel it working.I always hear the clicks when the hood is open. If you can't hear/feel more likely is faulty. Check it with a voltmeter to make sure before buying something.
There is another Valve that needs attention: Tank Vent Valve .
The Tank Vent Valve is located (in your case ) on the timing cover case cyl.1-4/passenger side.

Both Valves needs to be checked. You can remove them, try to blow air through the coming hose to see if they are clogged, or you can even try to fill with gas while open. I do not recommend driving the car with anything unplugged . In the end this is a fuel related problem!

Good Luck and keep us posted with your findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not hearing anything clicking under the hood.

Both suggestions (redpicker & algatou) could be your issue.
To better understand what's going on :
The gas vapors from the tank are sucked in the charcoal canister and after that through a hose they are pushed in the air/fuel mixture to help the combustion and keep the emissions low. There is a valve that controls the amount of vapors usage. It is called Canister Purge Control Valve . This Valve is located near your oil filter housing. Usually makes an constant audible click when the engine is idling. Listen or put your hand on it and you should feel it working.I always hear the clicks when the hood is open. If you can't hear/feel more likely is faulty. Check it with a voltmeter to make sure before buying something.
There is another Valve that needs attention: Tank Vent Valve .
The Tank Vent Valve is located (in your case ) on the timing cover case cyl.1-4/passenger side.

Both Valves needs to be checked. You can remove them, try to blow air through the coming hose to see if they are clogged, or you can even try to fill with gas while open. I do not recommend driving the car with anything unplugged . In the end this is a fuel related problem!

Good Luck and keep us posted with your findings.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Could this be the reason I'm not passing smog?
I don't know if this is the only reason why you don't pass the test , but what I know is this system has been engineered to reduce emission. Any malfunction will have a negative impact in your emissions as and could be the reason of not passing a smog test if needed.

Check engine light ON? What are the codes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.