BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently replaced the starter in my 95 325i manual. Now when I got to start my car it will start perfectly but the starter continues spinning causing the battery to drain within minutes. We replaced the starter relay and it continues doing the same thing.
Has anyone had an experience with this that could shed some light on this aggravating situation?
Would adding a power on/off switch onto the positive wire leading from battery terminals to starter cause any other major malfunctions or would that be an acceptable (albeit ghettoish) solution?

Thanks for your time y'all.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest.

What happen when turn off the engine? Is the started quit or keep on spinning. You could have another bad starter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So when you pull the starter relay the starter stops?

If so your problem may lie in the ignition switch. Have you tried turning the ignition switch slightly back towards the off setting and see if the starter stops and the engine keeps running?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I killed a starter like that before. It was either staying engaged or spinning I don't know which. I had hooked up the wires on the back of it wrong. You should check the back of the starter and make sure everything is were it should be.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,592 Posts
+1 ^

Also, Alika asked why you changed starters. We need to know that. Did the old one quit working, or was it doing the same thing? If the old one was doing the same thing, this is going to be a wiring or relay problem. If this problem began after the new starter was installed, it's either wired wrong or the starter solenoid is defective and is sticking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts