BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
undefinedundefined96 328i. Misfire on startup as well hydrolocking(does not start), white residue on oil cap, white smoke(spy hunter style) on start up and hard accelerations, stalling of the entire car itself (did not want to start), etc etc.. I was finally able to crank it on, which I now find out is a huge no, and took it straight to a shop. As soon as the BMW tech heard my symptoms, he advised it was probably a blown head gasket, but that it being a 1996 3series, he immediately stated that it could be a cracked head since these cars are prone to cracking very easily. SH*T! In any case, a blown gasket is going to run me $800, if a decide to do a valve job while its out, that will run me $1500, and if the head is cracked or need new valves, .. lets just say the mechanic chuckled.... ... but ive got an update to this message, i have decided that i will replace it with rebuilt motor i found online, i will later post the website. I was advised a rebuilt 2.7L runs $1600 and a 99 3.0L runs 2gs. I am probably going to buy me a new bmw, does anyone have any good or bad thoughts about them? Ive heard to avoid 2001's due to the handling bmw tried to "update".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.