BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

96 740iL Problems

1792 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  sealbeach740
I am having many problems with my 1996 BMW 740IL. It has about 283,000 miles on it. The car seems to be shaking after it starts up and vibrating a lot. It's also makes scraping type sounds. The radio is now not working, and it use to turn on at first when the car would start up, then in a few minutes it dies/turns off. Now the car is not starting at all due to the battery being drained by something, I always have to jumpstart it to get it to start. I know it's not the battery that's causing the car to not start due to me running a few tests. Also, through the exhaust pipes, it seems a lot of white smoke is coming out, i don't know if thats due to maybe a cynlinder/cynlinder head or two being out in the engine. ? PLEASE RESPOND AND HELP
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Thick milky white smoke with a sweet smell usually means coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber from a bad head gasket.

Do a compression test for the smoke. Where is this scraping noise coming from?
yes, the smoke is pretty thick. The scraping noise is coming from the engine
Thick milky white smoke with a sweet smell usually means coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber from a bad head gasket.

Do a compression test for the smoke. Where is this scraping noise coming from?
In that case, I'd do a compression test first, to see if it is the head gasket that is bad.

As far as the scraping noise, I don't know. It would be best to pinpoint exactly where in the motor this noise is coming from.
A bad battery (for whatever reason) can cause a multiple of other problems. Find the cause of your battery drain, then make sure your battery/alternator is OK.

Does your car have Navigation? A bad navigation unit will cause your radio to work at start up & then die in 3 or 4 minutes. If you turn the radio off & then back on, does it again shut down in 3 or 4 minutes? If so, that problem sure sounds like a bad navigation unit.
The radio is now not working, and it use to turn on at first when the car would start up, then in a few minutes it dies/turns off. Now the car is not starting at all due to the battery being drained by something,
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.