BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I begin the restoration of my '96 E36 328ic I would appreciate advice from all you Bimmer gurus. Most are cosmetic since I am the original owner. It only has 89,000 miles and all the service/repair records/reports. Since '96 I have had many other cars in-between, but I still love this car the most that's the reason I have held on to it. One of the things I need to have replaced are the front struts. Again, your advice is very much welcome, needed and appreciated. Thanks Bimmer gurus

'96 e36 328ic Restoration

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Welcome! Very cool that you are the original owner of your 328ic, and that you still love it after all these years. If you just want to replace the old struts with something that will restore the ride to something very similar to how your car left the factory, you can't go wrong with the Bilstein B4s (LEFT and RIGHT). If you want to make all four corners nice & fresh, you can buy a kit that covers all four wheels for around $115 more (LINK).

If you want something that is more performance oriented, there are a number of good options for that as well.

EDIT: After reading the one review for that Bilstein B4 kit, perhaps they are not a good option. Usually everything Bilstein makes is really top-shelf, and I have Bilstein Sports in my car which are the gold standard for sport handling shocks, but maybe the B4s aren't of the same quality.

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
The Koni STR.T struts and shocks are a good choice for replacement of the OEM units. They're just slightly firmer than the originals but not harshly so, and they pricing is reasonable. Check out Tire Rack as they've got the struts on sale right now for $111 and rear shocks for $81. I had them on my '96 328iC and was very happy with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts