BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum, I have a 96 740iL reading a code of P0500 wheel speed sensor A. The ABS and ASC lights are on and speedometer is not working. Do any of you have any experience with this problem?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The P0500 is a generic code that is almost always a bad wheel speed sensor. You need better BMW software to get more specific into. The speedometer reading comes from the rear sensor on the drivers side. Good chance that one is either bad or dirty. In my experience, it's usually a case of the wiring being old and brittle. They are a bit pricey for OEM but don't go cheap. Aftermarket sensors rarely work on this car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The P0500 is a generic code that is almost always a bad wheel speed sensor. You need better BMW software to get more specific into. The speedometer reading comes from the rear sensor on the drivers side. Good chance that one is either bad or dirty. In my experience, it's usually a case of the wiring being old and brittle. They are a bit pricey for OEM but don't go cheap. Aftermarket sensors rarely work on this car.

Thank you very much, I will order a oem rear driver side sensor replace it then go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quick update got in and drove for a bit speedometer came back on but the ABS and ASC lights are still on. Does that still mean it will be the right driver rear sensor?

·
Wingnut
4,413 Posts
have you a BMW specific code reader? was the P0500 code found with a generic OBDII code reader? P0500 is set after so many miles being driven when the DME is not receiving data from the ABS. Sensor "A" is a the trans sensor, however it is a bit ambiguous as when the ABS faults, the DME detects no data is being transmitted. with a vehicle with a manual trans (no trans sensor) a P0500 will be set as well. As the ABS/ASC light is on, data to the DME is nonexistent. I wouldnt assume any specific sensor yet, get the ABS code(s) and post them. then we can go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you a BMW specific code reader? was the P0500 code found with a generic OBDII code reader? P0500 is set after so many miles being driven when the DME is not receiving data from the ABS. Sensor "A" is a the trans sensor, however it is a bit ambiguous as when the ABS faults, the DME detects no data is being transmitted. with a vehicle with a manual trans (no trans sensor) a P0500 will be set as well. As the ABS/ASC light is on, data to the DME is nonexistent. I wouldnt assume any specific sensor yet, get the ABS code(s) and post them. then we can go from there.
No I do not have a bmw specific code reader, that code was pulled from a generic code reader at autozone, to update my last update the car will barely start, it cranks the idles very rough at low rpm than shut off, I don’t know if this is related but it’s the only code I got after reading it twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts