BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super late on this post but we've been constantly on the move since pick-up on Sept 3rd. Delivery of the 428i xDrive GC was in the morning, we squeezed in a factory tour (FYI, no cameras and it does take 2 hours, I would have been happy to stop after seeing the robots), then quickly hit the road for neuschwanstein castle.

This was our first experience at Welt (and my first BMW) and the experience was great. My wife didn't expect much and she was pleasantly surprised (loved the lounge, the spinning car at delivery, etc). The guy that showed us the car was great, even mentioned Bimmerfest and to make sure to join if I hadn't already. We didn't do much of an inspection of the car, maybe because they expect it to be flawless ? In any case, cosmetically the car is perfect inside and out (of course after I had done the inspection myself). The only thing wrong with the car wasn't realized until my phone died and we tried to use the 12v power in the cup holder area (since USB was occupied by the Euro maps). Unfortunately it was dead! I checked the fuses under the hood and even switched 20 amp fuses to make sure that wasn't the problem. BMWNA and my CA said the VPC will take care of it when the car is back in the states. Hopefully that doesn't cause major delays... BMW said that it has to be fixed at the VPC and can't be fixed by the dealer. We found the 12v plug behind the console and were good to go the rest of the trip. No other issues with electronics or mechanics.

Our itinerary included Munich, Neuschwanstein castle, Ebenalp Switzerland (hiked up to Aescher cliff, highly recommend, nothing like it), Luzerne (our city part of the trip besides Munich), Lauterbrunnen (more hiking), and Lindau (island in Lake Constance) on the way back to Munich.

Despite the rain most of the days we were here, we still made the best of the trip and got lucky on 2 of the days for hiking.

Things that were awesome about the car...
-driving it
-active cruise control is amazing
-HK sound system
-seats on long drives

Things that annoyed me about the car...
-Unlocking passenger side is a pain with comfort access (I know people already posted about this), I ended up changing the car to unlock all doors but that seems dumb. Why no allow comfort access to have a sequence to unlock all doors.
-GPS doesn't give great routes. Google so much better. It did work, but slower routes and time way off. Some addresses missing. Split screen required to give my wife detailed info about the next turn info. Why can't they put that in the corner or something.
-iPod music app auto plays when my last streaming app was actually spotify. Probably an apple thing since the car would restart spotify playing if the iOS didn't close the app after a period of time.
-Can't close tailgate with remote (I know can be coded)
-Settings being lost because of the two keys in the car problem. Had to reset my entertainment settings and such.
-Last destination never there, maybe caused by the EU USB maps???

Things that were awesome about driving in Europe...
-Driving fast of course
-Autobahn is so much more organized than our highways, traffic rules are very clear and everyone follows them
-Border crossings don't require stopping
-GPS easy to follow

Things that were annoying about driving in Europe...
-There are almost no stop lights and right of way can get pretty complicated.
-Remembering to stop for pedestrians is hard
-Speeds are up and down constantly. If I didn't have the speed tracking in my car, I would have never known how fast. Pretty sure I got flashed in a small town off Lake Constance. We'll see if I get mailed a ticket...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mountainous landforms Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle
Paragliding Air sports Mountain range Parachute Parachuting
Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Hill station Alps
Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Ridge Summit
Hill station Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Geological phenomenon

·
Registered
603 Posts
Congrats, beautiful car!! Love the 2nd and 6th pictures!no matter how many pics people post, I'm constantly in awe of the scenery! Enjoy the ride!

·
Verd!chtete !ntensität
59 Posts
Nice car and pics! :thumbup:
Enjoy the rest of your time!

Pretty sure I got flashed in a small town off Lake Constance. We'll see if I get mailed a ticket...
Did you get blitzed in Germany or were you still driving in Switzerland?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congratulations on your ED experience. Great car. Great photos. Hope you don't get a surprise in the mail from that flash.

You would not have taken your new baby up to the limit even if the speed limiter was off, would you? After all, there is a break in period ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations on your ED experience. Great car. Great photos. Hope you don't get a surprise in the mail from that flash.

You would not have taken your new baby up to the limit even if the speed limiter was off, would you? After all, there is a break in period ;)
Thanks! I stayed under 100 and 3500rpm 99% of the trip, but on my way back to Munich for drop-off, I hit the 130mph limit for a few minutes. I was at ~850 miles on the car at that point, I feel like I had to take the risk :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats on getting your new car. Looks great. Even if i prefer 2-door coupe, I think these GC are just stunning.

Love pics 2, 6 and 7. 7 looks like you made it to Bhutan!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
How was Lucerne? Anything there that I should be doing when I'm there in a few weeks?
Transport Museum
Boat ride on the lake
Cog wheel train up Mt. Pilatus --- Cable car down
Bucherer Watch store

To name just a few:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Congrats, beautiful car!! Love the 2nd and 6th pictures!no matter how many pics people post, I'm constantly in awe of the scenery! Enjoy the ride!
+1! Congratulation!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Car was delivered two days ago to my dealer in Maryland. Picked it up same day. In case anyone is interested in shipment times...

7/22 - ED Reservation
7/24 - PO paperwork
8/21 - Paid for car
9/3 - Pickup in Munich
9/7 - Munich drop-off
9/10 - Booked on Carmen ship
9/15 - Left brimmerhaven
9/29 - New Jersey port
9/30 - VPC
10/1 - Released to trucking
10/6 - Dealer and pickup (was originally schedule for Saturday 10/3, but terrible NE rain storm delayed truck)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!

Agree about getting pretty lucky. The overall duration wasn't that bad either, I was able to order with only 45 days notice before pickup in Munich. My CA was very knowledgable about ED, which helped minimize the the initial time. Shipping lag was also very lucky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.