Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired this sweet little beauty for next to nothing because the top got damaged. 67k and runs strong. Had to replace the tires due to age, not wear and next is replacing the top. But my question stems from the P0420 code that keeps popping up. Through checking the 02 sensors, and Cat, I discovered somewhere along the line either the Cat has been burned out or baffles were knocked out. I dont live in an emissions state so this is fine with me, but have been unable to find a solution to the code. Had seen on another forum about using a spacer to move the sensors out a little, but not sold on that helping. Short of buying a new Cat, has anyone run into this and found an economical solution?

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,136 Posts
... P0420 code... I discovered... either the Cat has been burned out or baffles were knocked out... unable to find a solution to the code... short of buying a new Cat, has anyone run into this and found an economical solution?
The code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold would be from the O2 sensor after the Cat. I think the code must either be cleared by satisfying the ECU by replacing the damaged Cat, or fooling the ECU with an O2 sensor simulator:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646036

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vintage, this is what I was looking for. I had purchased a cheaper set, but realize they didnt have the honeycomb in them. But I can use the ones I bought for other things anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts