Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking about a Downing/ Atlanta supercharger for my '97 318i sedan, 97K on the clock. I was thinking about a new car or an M52 engine swap, but both seem to be considerably more expensive and more trouble. Not to mention the car is in great shape, I have winter wheels for it, and a Dinan Stage 1, cold air intake, Ansa sport exhaust, 17 inch summer wheels, nice new Jensen stereo, leather goodies for the interior, etc. All transferrable, of course, but I got the darn car just where I want it now :)

My question is, does anyone know of suspension or rear end tweaks needed when you jump from 130 to 200 ft-lb torque? Almost seems too good to be true.

Also, do I understand y'all right -- this thing has a different rear suspension than the 6-cyl versions? Or is that just the 318Ti's?

·
U know how the game goes
705 Posts
The suspension of non-M e36's are all virtually the same and pretty much interchangeable. With some sport models having stiffer springs and sitting slightly lower than non sport models.

With the DA S/C your 318 will be about as powerful as a 328 so you should be fine with your stock suspension setup if it still has some life left.

You don't really need to concern yourself with chasis/suspension reinforcements until you are putting down numbers in excess of M3 power. There were several components including springs, sways and control arms that were beefed up to handle the increased torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks -- that's exactly what I'm looking for. The car has been well cared for so it should be OK suspension wise. I just had some nightmares about popping stuff in the drive line. These cars do seem to have some factor of safety built into the drive train, but looking at Turner Motorsports got me a little concerned. I suppose doing an M3 engine swap would probably require some of that stuff.

Anyone know if the same applies to the brakes? Are there any brake mods you can do using the stock calipers (drilled rotors, Ferodo pads)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts