BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
New to this forum but not new to cars.
Situation; 97 E36 318i M42, or M43B18 engine, auto (info on how to ID welcome), 4 pin ECT sensor, intermittent no start. No start is due to flooding (pull fuel pump fuse it starts), only tell tale of when it will not start is idle speed goes up to about 1200 rpm (ie if the idle speed has gone up when you turn it off you know its not going to start) also while fault is occurring it has a hesitation on acceleration. Fault occurrence is increasing in frequency but can go for days with out occurring.
Unfortunately our scan tool with the BMW 20pin adapter is U/S and our other one doesn't have correct adapter.
First suspicion was coolant temp sender but due to difficult access checked fuel pressure performance to eliminate leaking injectors first. Fuel pressure performed ok.
Checked voltages and continuity between ECT and DCM, all good. removed ECT to check resistance. Pin 1 and 2 (instrument cluster temp gauge) 8.5kOhms at 15degC 1.1kOhmns at 70degC, Pin 3 and 4 (ECT) 4,3kOhmns at 15degC, 1.4kOhmns at 70degC. I have no specific specs but this doesn't seem particularly abnormal to my experience, not ready to condemn ECT yet.
Next to check IAT and O2 sensors? I'm in the process of obtaining a suitable scan tool adapter, but in the mean-time any words of wisdom from the resident gurus? These air-shrouded injectors are new to my experience, any nuances with them.
Anyone point me to a DCM pin-out voltage chart?
Cheers in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone following or searching and ending up on this thread, I can now report that I retested the ECT and it went open circuit. Retested with several more cycles of hot and cold water and it operated fine once in 5 cycles... kid of like the problem. Have ordered new ECT and will report back when I know if this has been a successful diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If it's flooding it could possibly be the FPR aka fuel pressure regulator. When they fail they can allow excessive fuel into the rail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts