BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first BMW had all the fluids checked, transmission is new and was also checked, engine and computer both checked everything came back fine, I drove it off the lot knowing the speedo and things didn't work. Guy said he thinks when they out the new transmission in they didn't plug up the transmission speed sensor? I doubt it as the car runs perfectly fine without any shifting problems or lights flashing on/off. It's a 1997 5 series 528i. I have reset the cluster and everything and my digital reading doesn't work either. The only one that works is the miles until my gas is empty but mpg, mph, and temp don't work. Tried resetting it too and no difference. Been looking at forums on here for 3 days and most people say it's from the sensors on the 4 wheels or the abs module. But I have no check engine or abs lights or brake or anything? It basically tells me nothing is wrong, but I still have no soeedo???

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,908 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I moved your question to the E39 forum. Your '97 5 Series is an E39. You should get help here.

·
Registered
15,607 Posts
Google search on "BMW E39 trifecta."

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
First what do you mean by "speedo and things don't work", and, "my digital reading doesn't work either" .

"mpg, mph, and temp" don't work - could be that your internal OBC computer is on the fritz. It's hard to say without more information.

Be careful with your trifecta search. You have a 1997 which has a different ABS module. I've been through this myself with a 1998 528i. You might want to get your fault codes read. They can exist without any lights on.

0. Maybe you should run the Hidden menu test to check all your lights and dials on the instrument cluster. You can google "BMW E39 instrument cluster hidden menu test". I believe that it is number 2. Then skip #1 below and look at #2. You will see if your lights aren't maybe working - some clowns remove the LED lights from behind the instrument cluster so that you don't see the lights and faults. The only way to be sure is to test the instrument cluster.

1. Check and possibly replace all 4 wheel sensors. Make sure you get BMW or OEM. Avoid the cheap sensors.
2. Open your ABS module located in front of the RHS strut tower in the engine compartment. This is the same place as the modules you will see in your "trifecta" searches. You will notice that it is basically a film with circuits that look like they were drawn by a child. Plus, there is a single wire that runs from the top to the back half of the box. You may notice the insulation on that wire is old and crumbling. Tape that wire with good electric tape to remove a short that happens in these older ASC+T ABS modules (not DSC ABS modules). In fact, you might want to do this first and then see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, maybe then take a hard look at #1.
3. If after doing 1 and 2, the ASC+T light remains, it may be because your bowden cable that runs to the ASC throttle (it's the front one of the two on the intake manifold) is either detached, snapped, or both. It's a cheap and easy piece to replace, if it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First what do you mean by "speedo and things don't work", and, "my digital reading doesn't work either" .

"mpg, mph, and temp" don't work - could be that your internal OBC computer is on the fritz. It's hard to say without more information.

Be careful with your trifecta search. You have a 1997 which has a different ABS module. I've been through this myself with a 1998 528i. You might want to get your fault codes read. They can exist without any lights on.

0. Maybe you should run the Hidden menu test to check all your lights and dials on the instrument cluster. You can google "BMW E39 instrument cluster hidden menu test". I believe that it is number 2. Then skip #1 below and look at #2. You will see if your lights aren't maybe working - some clowns remove the LED lights from behind the instrument cluster so that you don't see the lights and faults. The only way to be sure is to test the instrument cluster.

1. Check and possibly replace all 4 wheel sensors. Make sure you get BMW or OEM. Avoid the cheap sensors.
2. Open your ABS module located in front of the RHS strut tower in the engine compartment. This is the same place as the modules you will see in your "trifecta" searches. You will notice that it is basically a film with circuits that look like they were drawn by a child. Plus, there is a single wire that runs from the top to the back half of the box. You may notice the insulation on that wire is old and crumbling. Tape that wire with good electric tape to remove a short that happens in these older ASC+T ABS modules (not DSC ABS modules). In fact, you might want to do this first and then see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, maybe then take a hard look at #1.
3. If after doing 1 and 2, the ASC+T light remains, it may be because your bowden cable that runs to the ASC throttle (it's the front one of the two on the intake manifold) is either detached, snapped, or both. It's a cheap and easy piece to replace, if it is.
I had the computer run before I bought it and no codes showed up, when I say no speedo and tach etc I mean it's not telling me my speed as in mph or my Rpms when the car is shifting gears my gas gauge works fine and I ran the I sturme t cluster and everything worked all gushes lights etc. but when I drive off, no gauges work except my gas. No lights are on no codes are coming out it says it's fine but again it's not.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You need to test your cluster.

1. Push and hold the 'mileage reset' button on your instrument cluster until you see 'Test....." on the cluster.
2. Release and push over and over to get up to #19.
3. At test #19, push and hold the button until you see it switch from 'Lock On or Lock Off' back to test #19.
4. Release the button and push it until you cycle around to test #2. This is the instrument cluster test.

Here are more details

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to test your cluster.

1. Push and hold the 'mileage reset' button on your instrument cluster until you see 'Test....." on the cluster.
2. Release and push over and over to get up to #19.
3. At test #19, push and hold the button until you see it switch from 'Lock On or Lock Off' back to test #19.
4. Release the button and push it until you cycle around to test #2. This is the instrument cluster test.

Here are more details
I tested my cluster again and everything works fine in the test but once out of the test the only gauge that works is my gas. I just unplugged the abs modular to see if it would throw any lights and it did nothing at all. Does this mean I need a new one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts