BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control doesn't work anymore. It started with surging and then not working, then working again, and now not at all. I have replaced the brake light switch as there was a voltage drop there. Any hints? Does a different computer need coded if it is the same part number?

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Is your ABS in working order? My grandfather's 540 surges when the ABS is engaged and the DSC realizes it's broken (it works intermittently) and shuts off.
If that's not it, it sounds like your brake light sensor is what turns off your cruise control and something's not right. Did you use OE BMW parts? The surging is odd, though***8230;

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the OEM new brake light switch. It doesn't surge anymore because it won't even engage. I also troubleshot the actuator and it seems in working order. I bought a cruise control computer off of ebay but no help. I am not sure if the different cruise control computer would need coded to the car.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to see the dealer before buying a computer? :p

Most modules need to be coded, I assume the cruise control computer is no different.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to see the dealer before buying a computer? :p

Most modules need to be coded, I assume the cruise control computer is no different.
My indy told me my climate control module would have to be coded by the dealer. Bought a used unit, dropped it in with no coding required. I think coding mostly applies to brand new, never coded parts rather than making something stick to a different car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts