BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. This is my first post, so please - go easy on me. I ran a search on a number of forums, but I've not been able to find too terribly much that sounds like my issue.

So, that having been said, here are my symptoms...

Navigation system screen is intermittent. I always get the backlight turning on, so I know its getting power - but sometimes just stays blank/black with the backlight on.

I haven't really figured any pattern to this... I just get no screen display. In the instances when I get no screen, I do get stereo for a few minutes, before I need to power cycle it to restore the stereo system... The stereo plays, but turns off after a few minutes.

When I get the display? Works fine.

now... the stereo itself doesn't sound completely healthy. More bass and distortion than I'd hope... so I'm thinking there's got to be a wiring issue somewhere, but I need some pointers on where to start.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Little more information - I found some instructions on how to identify the version of software I have... it says 2/61? Mark II?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there... so... I went ahead and I upgraded my firmware based on some instructions I found. The nav fired right up with the firmware CD in the drive - which is somewhat uncharacteristic of it... updated, and it was done. I'm skeptical it would be a firmware issue, but we'll see...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem too! Mine is a 2000 540i6 Sport with the smaller Navigation screen...

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
459 Posts
2000 540i navigation & radio not working

-

I now have a similar issue (commenced last week), except I can't even see the navi screen. The radio plays for 2-5 mins then turns itself off; have to re-power it to restore. The navi screen just shows blanks with some occasional line patterns. Mine is a 2000 540iT Sport. NO IDEA what firmware it's running.

Any advice appreciated! Also, is it likely that this will require a hardware replacement and if so, how much does this run?

Wouldn't you know, was thinking of trading within next 6 months :( Had no issues for years... bloody poor timing :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts