BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 328 all of a sudden started giving us the Check Coolant error message and sure enough the coolant was low. refilled and after a good drive it was low again. After just the right driving one could see quite a lot of coolant splashed around the right side of the engine block (facing the car).

no big deal, we have had overheats before and even blew the radiator and replaced it (one 105 deg day). So we thought we have sprung a leak and would have it fixed. Or even perhaps it is the water pump gasket (we are at about 80k miles)

A day later my wife goes to start and now the engine won't start. Starter runs but does not seem to have load and the engine certainly doesn't turn over. A car guy (but not bimmer guy) says it must be athe timing belt, blah blah blah.

Heard of thsi before? Any thoughts on what it is?

All help would be appreciated.

ASK

·
Registered
355 Posts
Open your oil cap and see if your oil look creamy? If it is, then you screwed and possible have a blown HG. And it could lead to engine sieze which I think happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the oil, no cream. Checked the plugs/pulled the covers, and no coolant. So it looks like I escaped a blown HG.

The engine cranks like a champ but has no, repeat no, compression on any cyclinders. Could possibly have screwed up the rings, but I think that unlikely (and a lot of work to check).

Could there be some other (simpler) reason for a the loss of compression? Blown circuit somewhere?

All help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Compression?

I hope this info helps, or maybe you have already tried some of this.

Unless you have done a compression test I don't believe your car has lost compression, BMWs starters/engines are so much smoother than the labored American and Japenese starters that seem to lope and struggle.

I have a few ideas you can try to further diagnose your problem (The symptoms you describe deserve the following quick tests)

1. Hopefully the car is in a quite place... listen near the back seat while someone else turns the ingnition from off to run but doesn't crank, listen for the hum of the fuel pump charging the fuel system (may be easier if you lift and remove rear seat cushion) If you don't hear a hum the pump may be dead. Check the fuse if dead.

2. Next run the starter for a couple of seconds several times and go to the rear of the car and smell for a gasoline-burnt-oil smell in the general area of the exhaust, also open the hood and it may also smell strongly of gas, the car may be flooded. (see below)

(Don't do this if in garage and car smells of gas)
3. If you feel up to it, remove the cylinder head beauty cover and remove one of the coil packs and use a spark plug tester and watch for spark while your friend starts the car. If no spark then I recommend a tow truck and trusted mechanic.

My opinion based on past experience is that when you drove your car with the coolant leak your engine compartment became full of a water/antifreeze mist, some of which entered the fuel delivery system through the intake and perhaps small vacuum leaks which in turn 'upset' the engine sensors. For some reason smaller fuel injected engines seem to flood themselves during start up if they become 'upset' and once flooded they can be very stubborn.

Oh, almost forgot, I think you describe that the coolant appears to escape somewhere on the right side of the engine (facing the car) which hopefully means that it is only one of your heater hoses that is cracked, loose, or leaking as they are on that side under the intake plenum... hard to get to but cheap to replace.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts