BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on isolating the location of a power steering fluid leak. I can't figure out if it is the reservoir, hoses, pump, etc. I suspect a hose or gasket. Thanks!

· Old School
4,146 Posts
1) Clean and degrease the area of the leak. 2) Start engine and observe. 3) When fluid appears stop engine, claen again and observe again. Might need a small mirror. 4) If it near a hose end then determine if a leak from the HOSE the JOINT (ie between the tube and the hose) or the TUBE (ie broken weld. If it is from the JOINT on a factory crimped hose - that is the hardest to fix. Pump itself is 'O' rings. Unlikely to be hoses unless kinked or damaged. Try tightening the hose clips under the reservoir - worked for me....

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on isolating the location of a power steering fluid leak. I can't figure out if it is the reservoir, hoses, pump, etc. I suspect a hose or gasket. Thanks!
Does not answer your question directly but I can say that the hoses are very prone to leak on the e38 line. We ended up just putting a kit together on the site since everyone was always replacing them. Most common is the main pressure hose, Then where the 2 push onto the reservoir.

Max

· Registered
40 Posts
Hi Max!
I am definitely in the market to replace my power steering hoses. And I have priced them out. Your cat looks to be very complete as to what is needed. My question is the use of aftermarket parts? What is the warranty that you have for all these parts? Thanks for your time

· Registered
998 Posts
Mine have always leaked at the reservoir, guessing because as the car ages the rubber shrinks a bit, and you can't retighten the stock clamps. I just replaced the hose clamps with the standard screw type that you can get at any hardware store and that typically fixes it

· Registered
873 Posts
Have a look at the suspension area under the power steering reservoir. If this is oil soaked and dirty, leak is almost certainly where the hose(s) connect to the reservoir as suggested by others. Leaks here cause the end of the hose to go soft, but if its not been done before, you can cut off a small section and reclamp using a conventional adjustable clip. For anyone with SLS there is a third small diameter hose that is hard to spot and this particularly difficult to seal. To work in this area its best to release the oil filter housing and move it forwards to gain better view/access to these hose ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.