BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the foums, read and read, and it seems like there is a lot of confurion and vague answers to problems with wipers. I can't seem to get a straight answer on possibility of the problem I have. If someone have a good idea please advice me before I get ripped off or start wasting money on parts.

Bought a 98 740IL, with 137K, Clean car, no issues. I found out that the wipers don't work. One of the service receipts says that the wiper switch has been changed because there was a problem with intermittent wipers. God knows whether the shop did or didn't change the switch. So, the wipers did not work since I bought the car. Looked at the common problem of water around the relays, and sure, there was water, hosed it off with air, and I took off the 3 relays under the ECM, and changed them with used ones to see if anything would happen, nothing, still can't hear any clicking of the relay,and I still don't know which one of the relays is the wiper ones. Someone said it is actually the one under the dash, took that one out and it looks Ok. Now, i DON;T KNOW WHICH IS WHICH. sOME TELL ME it maybe that there is corrosion under the relay tray. Some tell me maybe the switch went bad again. Some tell me it must be the motor. Tried to remove the wiper arms to check on the motor. Can't seem to get the wiper arms off, they r stuck in there after removing the bolts, don't know how else I can get them off. Most people say you don't need a special tool. A friend of mine took off the control module under the dash and put it back. We also disconnected the battery and the ECM when looking at the relays, now the remote entry key doesn't open the doors or lock the doors. I tried re programming it as is in the forum, get in car, turn ignition on and off quickly, hold down the unlock and press the lock 3 times, no cycling took place. I am sick of it. Any good advice?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Next time I'm headed that way I can send you a message and I'd help you figure it out.
I'm not sure how hard those relays are to get to but we can swap them around with my known good relays from my 98 to truly eliminate them.

Do you mind opening the OBD port by the cup holder and telling me how many wires are connected to the black OBD port?

I can't get a scanner to communicate with my car and thus I can't pass emissions on a 98 I just purchased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh, I've seen posts on how to open it.
I'd be careful, they do break.

Mine is broken.

Google it or search the forum.

I'll look for directions and post if I find them.

Don't break it trying to help me out.

In fact, yours may be properly mounted and you won't be able to see the # of wires so you would have to shine a light inside the plug and see how many metal pins are present in the connector.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read somewhere that there is a small place to put a screwdriver in. I will check later. What emission? We don't have emission tests around here in AL. I have the wiper issue and the blower motor issue which doesn't work no matter how high I turn the fan speed. The guy I bought it from bought the blower regulator resistor but it's a big job and I would hate to do it without knowing what the problem is, for sure.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would suggest that you obtail a copy of the WDS (wiring diagrams). The disk contains not just diagrams but also pin outs, photos of component and connector locations, and sometimes text describing the control operations of things like heated seats.

Start testing with a digital voltmeter at the fuse, and work your way round the components, using the wiring colours shown in the diagrams until you isolate the faulty item. In the end, this will be quicker than casting about in the hope of hitting on the problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.