BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 740il and the heat is not working. The temp gauge goes over the mid point for a few seconds then I get about 30 sec of warm air(not hot air just warm) then it air starts blowing cold again. I do have a coolant leak because every couple of weeks i have to put coolant in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds like you might have a coolant leak to me. Look at the drip shield under the radiator and see if there's any sign of leakage. I had a radiator leak on mine. I replaced the radiator myself, very easy job. You just have to make sure you bleed all the air from the system when you refill it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If you have a leak in the system you will never get the heating working right because there will always be air trapped in the system , and that means the coolant will not circulate properly (from heater to engine/radiator/water pump) , or will not circulate at all.
The needle from coolant temperature should never pass the middle . aka TDC (top dead center)!

Find and fix the leak first, bleed the system right (front of the car higher than rest), and then check for heat . I bet will work properly !

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts