BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thank you Bluebee and CN90 for all your posts. Thanks to you both I was able to replace the head gasket on my car recently. Did the head, oil filter housing gasket, vanos, sensors and heating hoses. The head went to the machine shop before re-installation.

Now the sunroof stuck open on the tilt position. I read somewhere here about sunroofs however I did not find much on this topic, as far how to take it apart, etc.
I was able to take it apart and it appears that all plastic and metal parts are ok.
I turned the motor manually (with a tool) and it draws the assembly down. However when I push the switch, I can only hear the motor make a humming sound but no movement.
I greased all the parts I removed and put them back as carefully as I could (this was a bit scary as I did not know what I was doing).
During the removal of the glass sunroof I had to remove the rubber bellows located on the sides. The driver's came out fine but the passenger side was a royal pain. As a result, part of it broke.
I am looking for a replacement and can't find them. I am hoping to avoid the dealership. Does anyone have a clue as to where to look for them?
I hope to put the sunroof back, close it manually and replace the motor when my budget allows.
Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
raulg
:)

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I wish I could help you. I've seen a few sunroof threads on here, but I can't recall any that involved dismantling it. This kind of thing is one reason I've never been a fan of sunroofs in general. In fact, in the two months I've had the car I haven't even opened mine yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses.
I was able to find the write-up by LILD. He got replacement parts from the dealer.
It appears that is the route I will have to follow. Possibly having to buy more than what I really need and paying through the nose.
Once I replace the bellows and put things back I will manually test the operation by turning the motor with a tool. If that works, then it would indicate the motor is tired.
I will try to post some photos
Thank you
Raulg:dunno:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for your responses.
I was able to find the write-up by LILD. He got replacement parts from the dealer.
It appears that is the route I will have to follow. Possibly having to buy more than what I really need and paying through the nose.
Once I replace the bellows and put things back I will manually test the operation by turning the motor with a tool. If that works, then it would indicate the motor is tired.
I will try to post some photos
Thank you
Raulg:dunno:
Raulg, can you post the part numbers of the bellows when you find them. Thanks.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I was able to find the write-up by LILD.
As a matter of public service, anytime you find a GOOD link, on a task that you need to do, please POST that link!

That way others benefit who find this thread in the future.

I just did a slash-F3 in the bestlinks thread and found these in five seconds:

- How to repair & reset the sunroof (1) (2) (3) & how to fix sun roof rattles (1) & how to test & fix moonroof leaks (1) (2) (3) causing water on the front passenger carpet & how to remove the roof headliner (1)

Was the link you found in those? If not, please post the link so we can add it to the bestlinks.

Thanks (for others).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.