BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...... I've seen quite a few threads on this issue, but have never seen an answer. I noticed most of them were years old, so MAYBE by now the problem is widely known and has easy answers.
I recently bought a 1999 323i for a really good price. I knew upon buying it that it had a bad hesitant take off. I figured I do like a always do and google it, then fix it myself. Well...... after I drove it home, I then realized it wouldnt go over 50mph. At 50 it would just sound flooded when I give more gas. After driving 35 minutes at 50mph to get home I stopped to get something to eat. When I left there, PRESTO, the car did 75 with more to give! I was excited, thinking maybe it had been sitting and just needed a lil blowing out.
Sooo, the next day I hopped in and low and behold..... same issue. Very bad take off. And a few times it wouldn't even go past 10mph unless I restarted the engine a few times. Then it would eventually go back to normal, but still had a hesitant take off. I had the codes read at O'Rielly and the only one it gave was P1770 CAN Torque Interface. WTH is that? :tsk: On the dash the only lights that lite is the EML, the ! sign next to the gear position and another ! sign with a counter clockwise arrow around it in the center of the dash. Have no clue what either is. :bawling:

Please someone help me figure this one out. I love the car, it runs good when no problems.......But I WILL sell if its not worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need to get the complete car scaned.
Need to know what faults are in the DSC (counter clockwise sign you mensioned) and EGS (transmission)
Torque interface usually means transmission is not sensing torque signal from DME or vise versa. On top of my head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just done a bit of research torque signal comes from MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) in DME via PT CAN (Power Train CAN BUS) From the symtoms you are describing "flooded when giving more gas" sounds like MAF Is defective or wiring to MAF may be faulty. If you can try to swap a known good MAF. or just clean the one on the car with MAF cleaner to try first.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
On a car as old as yours, it`s a likely bet that there`s more than just one thing going on. I think at this point, it would be a good idea to invest in a scanner of your own, it will definitely come in handy down the road. You can get very basic units from about $25 on line....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aactive, thanks!!!!! I had that thought too about the MAF sensor. I seen it a time or two, but no one ever came back and said it was the problem. I hate when people start threads,........get advice,........ then when the car is fixed they never come back and say what worked. But I'll definitely try the sensor first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fast Bob, I truly appreciate you coming through for me. I've seen many other threads that you've commented on and I knew you were a person I could count on for help. I did think about buying my own scanner, but when I saw people say "don't go to to Auto Zone, go to BMW cuz they have the right scanner", to me that meant those are some high dollar pieces of equipment. Lol. But I'll look into it. I was kinda excited when my car only threw up ONE code. Guess I jumped the gun.
I tried to drive it today just to see what it'd do and it wouldnt rev over 2000 rpm's. I know if i keep restarting it, it will eventually get right, but who has time for all that crap. I shut it off after about 5 trys and went back in the house.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Oh yeah........ What should I look for specifically in a scanner??? Name.....Type?
I think that quite a few members here have used Actron scanners, they seem to be well-regarded. They run from about $50 on up to several hundred bucks. The higher-end ones are more sophisticated, giving live-time feeds, etc. In most cases, you can get by with a more economically-priced unit. Do a Google search, and see what owners have to say about them.

Happy Hunting ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK....... Havent had the money to spend on a scanner yet, and have'nt been able to get it to a bmw dealer to run the codes cuz we don't have one local. But I did clean the MAF sensor thoroughly and put it back. Also found a vacuum hose on the left side coming from the silver thing attached to the big black canister. (yeah, very elementry, I know) I bought new hose and replaced. Tried to take it for a spin and.............. SAME OLE PROB. Horrible take off, and won't go past 50mph. I did see with a cable camera that there is another vacuum hose sticking out of the back of the engine. Its in between the firewall and the engine, so there's no way to reach it or tell where it goes. What do yall think?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Replace the MAF. They can really mess with the car.
My e46 has a very bad takeoff. I can floor it and it barely goes. Does go 90+ on the highway always but I think my MAF is going bad. I unplugged it and the transmission light came on and it took off.

Also my e34 just took a s*** when the MAF went out.

You also cannot get a cheap one. It will go out in a week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question guys....... The vacuum line i see comming out of all the other 323's intake boot has an F-connector. Mine has just one outlet. could someone have changed it out. Cuz I do see a vacuum line towards the back bottom area on the driver side. Its just broken off and hanging. Don't know where it goes. Its about a foot back from the ICV. real low. Perhapse that use to go to the F connector, and the hose broke, so some idiot switched out the connector. Possible???????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
OK guys..........I got the real codes now. Oriellys code reader sucks. Here's what I got.
103 - Vanos, End Position Sensor, Crankcase sensor
104 - Vanos, End Position Sensor, Crankcase Sensor
238 - Cylinder 1 misfire
240 - Cylinder 3 misfire
239 - Cylinder 2 misfire

Any thoughts???? Suggestions?
Also, he wiped the codes out with his reader & unplugged the MAF sensor, and the car ran like new!!!!! But the codes came back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.