BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues on and off with my cooling system. I replaced the expansion tank because it was leaking about a year ago and now for about a week my car has only been blowing hot air out of the vents even if i'm on 59 and the dial is turned to the three dots. My low coolant light comes on every other day so it's obviously leaking somewhere. Just wondering if it would have to be leaking a certain place for the car to only blow hot air because the two are obviously connected somehow.

If anyone has ever had this problem before please let me know. Thanks!

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Let me help you here cause you are a little off track. Your coolant has nothing to do with your refrigerant (what the A/C uses). Low coolant does affect your heater core (as coolant flows through it to produce heat for your heater) but not the A/C. You need to have the pressures read on your A/C system first of all. Then, you need to find your coolant leak. But again, the two are not connected in the way you think they are. Low engine coolant (anti-freeze) will not affect the air conditioner. Get a reputable shop to check it out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pressure in my AC system is exactly where it should be. I connected the two because it happened exactly at the same time that my cooling system started leaking and my AC started blowing only hot air.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new radiator and water pump as those are the only two things that haven't been replaced in the cooling system since i've had the car. We'll see...hopefully that'll make a difference

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of them are fairly new but I will replace any old ones there might be left.

Anyone know if there's a DIY for radiator and/or water pump? I've searched all over the forum but can't find anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have an automatic transmission, check your ATF cooler which is attached just below the expansion tank. There are two o rings that need replacing where the ATF connects. I found this out after over hauling my cooling system. Everything worked great but I was having to refill every other day. Depending on oring condition, you may only be able to spot this leak while the engine is at normal temperature. The ATF o rings are an easy disconnect and replace. Be ready to catch coolant in clean container and reuse. Since you replaced the expansion tank, I trust you know to do this when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually a manual. I did just replace the radiator, waterpump, hoses and new belts while I was at it and everything is good again.

Thanks for all your guys help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts