BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed the loss of compression with a trick i learned n i know a blown head gasket can keep it from starting but it doesnt even attempt it just turns n turns with no sign of trying to start it gets fuel to fuel rail plugs n coil packs seem to be fine the fuses under cabin air filter r good. So anyone got any answers or possible things to look at cuz i dont think its blown that bad n i need to know the motor is worth it (never had running bought this way) before i spend the time n effort on head job.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
spark air fuel... pick one and start proving each one.. not guessing, but proff.. I would start with spark..its quick and easy..

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel in rail n comes out injectors spark before n after spark plug air I've replace ever vacuum hose i saw that was bad cleaned maf but all that is off right bow cuz i was cleaning n checking throttle body but i figured it wouldn't keep it from starting with all of the air intake system off. Am i wrong cuz i thought I've started my other bimmer without it n it's same just 97 not 99

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive recently got an endoscope camera for my phone (I recommend very handy) so I'll look around areas i cant see from the naked eye. Am i missing something? I did just read codes n got misfire on 1 3 n 4 even though ive got spark n fuel coming out of all injectors. I had terrible compression but like i said fixed that with a Lucas fuel injection n conditioning cleaner trick I was told about works great BTW.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
so if it's running... post fuel trims.. if you can graph and post 02 sensor data here along with trims... armed with that data we will tell you the next step.

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not running thats the problem but i pulled fuel rail n had someone try to start n there fuel pumping out of injectors

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
well that isn't the best test for fuel but it's something.. what it isn't is prof of fuel. but let's just say you have fuel. Next test is spark. pull a plug and test for that.. think about finding a fuel pressure gauge to really test the fuel pressure correctly... post findings.

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spark is good tested that n i know i need fuel pressure gauge but it wont do anything with spraying start fluid in it

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
auto zone has a tester that you can rent to test it out.. If you don't have one near by try another national brand parts store. Spraying with starting fluid is not a test. too many veriables that you are not sharing. where did you spray it and for how long.. no matter.. if you have spark... look to fuel .. get the tester .. pull a plug and see if it's wet or dry.. press the shradder valve on the top of the engine and see if you get sprayed with gas.. if not.. no fuel... obviously you've already checked fuses, right?..

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuel comes out yes check all fuses even under air cabin filter. I have air housing off so i sprayed straight into throttle body for about 3 sec

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'd double to 6 seconds 3 is not enough.. push 10.. if you are sure of spark...it's gotta light.. unless you still dont have or have lost compression.. do you have a compression tester.. you can rent that too from autozone fl..

·
Rodneyjallen
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Compression was low but i got them all back up to around 120-160 using Lucas about 2oz in each cylinder for 24hrs i will try to spray more in tomorrow n do the fuel pressure test when i borrow the tester from my friend n let ya'll know. I'm leaning towards fuel issue

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
idk but if you have spray on the shrader valve and you have spark.. then that should, at least, get you a sputter... if you spray more starter fluid into it you'll know you're heading in the right direction..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts