BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys I am new here my name is Michael Gannaway hince the name. I got my 540I back in july of last year and up until now have had no problems out if except a radiator which I already knew was a common problem before I bought it. Well now the abs and traction and brake lights come on and my speedo quits working. For about a week it was off completely but now sometimes if its cold out in the morning the light wont come on till about 10 minutes into the drive. What could be causing this? bad connection somewhere? wheel speed sensor? abs module? im clueless because usually a electrical part is either working or its not with no in between. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep most likely its the module. Not sure how your gonna figure this out with out taking it to the dealer. Your not gonna get a code that say's (abs module bad). Dealer time!

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Yep most likely its the module. Not sure how your gonna figure this out with out taking it to the dealer. Your not gonna get a code that say's (abs module bad). Dealer time!
Can also be the wheel speed sensors. Neither of these fixes is real expensive. I had the same issue on a 2001 525 and it was fixed for less than $400. I replaced the ABS module.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any way to find out what all years I could get another abs module off of? possilby one at a junk yard or ebay? Financial times are hard right now and I will most likely be selling the car once it is fixed :bawling:

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Is there any way to find out what all years I could get another abs module off of? possilby one at a junk yard or ebay? Financial times are hard right now and I will most likely be selling the car once it is fixed :bawling:
negatron.. they're coded to each car individually

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you need a new one or have your's fixed. it's coded to the car itself.
oh ok makes sense. If I got a new one would I have to have a dealership install it due to being coded for my car? I am no first timer when it comes to turning wrenches so I would not have any problems installing something myself as long as it does not require a dealership to program anything

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
oh ok makes sense. If I got a new one would I have to have a dealership install it due to being coded for my car? I am no first timer when it comes to turning wrenches so I would not have any problems installing something myself as long as it does not require a dealership to program anything
i don't think the module can be reprogrammed. once it's set, it's a done deal.

it's never the wrenching part i fear, it's the OTHER things that suck a duck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i don't think the module can be reprogrammed. once it's set, it's a done deal.

it's never the wrenching part i fear, it's the OTHER things that suck a duck.
so i should be able to do it my self? now just how to tell which one is in need of replacing the abs module or a wheel speed sensor

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
so i should be able to do it my self? now just how to tell which one is in need of replacing the abs module or a wheel speed sensor
have your code read. free at autozone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have your code read. free at autozone.
i thought you had to have one of the special round bmw hook ups to check the codes on the car? something about the access port to read codes being under the hood and not like the normal obdII port :dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can definitely do this yourself. You remove the one from the car so their are no coding issues. You send it to the reman company they rebuild and send it back to you. It costs around $225.00 vs $1000.00 at the stealership. You can drive the car while the module is being rebuilt but you will not have a speedo and other indicators. Also the gas gauge will act funny since no information is being to the computer. The reman web site below has directions on how to remove the module. It's the cheapest way to go for sure.

http://www.bba-reman.com/

Rudy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can definitely do this yourself. You remove the one from the car so their are no coding issues. You send it to the reman company they rebuild and send it back to you. It costs around $225.00 vs $1000.00 at the stealership. You can drive the car while the module is being rebuilt but you will not have a speedo and other indicators. Also the gas gauge will act funny since no information is being to the computer. The reman web site below has directions on how to remove the module. It's the cheapest way to go for sure.

http://www.bba-reman.com/

Rudy
oh yea i forgot to mention that my gas gas drops if i give it alot of gas and my mileage till empty will drop alot! then when i start backing off the gas the gas gauge will come back up and the mileage till empty starts coming up too. I guess thats not going to happen if it is a wheel speed sensor. I will look into the bba reman site. I have finals all week then moving on thursday so it will be a week or so till i can work on it but I will get it worked out.

Now I have to ask anyone want a '99 540I M sport 6spd with Silver with black interior? plenty of mods too dinan cold air, throttle body, mass air, stage 3 tune, b&m shifter, M3 shift knob, OEM M5 wheels, M5 sway bars, M5 front buper cover, oem halo head light upgrade and 01+ clear tail lights, new M sport rear bumper with the black panel at the bottom, some after market cat back exhaust too :) wonder what its worth after all the upgrades? also has a new radiator 2k miles ago and the front end work all done at 94k miles and it has 124k now I am going to post it up officially once i get the abs module fixed

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
oh yea i forgot to mention that my gas gas drops if i give it alot of gas and my mileage till empty will drop alot! then when i start backing off the gas the gas gauge will come back up and the mileage till empty starts coming up too. I guess thats not going to happen if it is a wheel speed sensor. I will look into the bba reman site. I have finals all week then moving on thursday so it will be a week or so till i can work on it but I will get it worked out.

Now I have to ask anyone want a '99 540I M sport 6spd with Silver with black interior? plenty of mods too dinan cold air, throttle body, mass air, stage 3 tune, b&m shifter, M3 shift knob, OEM M5 wheels, M5 sway bars, M5 front buper cover, oem halo head light upgrade and 01+ clear tail lights, new M sport rear bumper with the black panel at the bottom, some after market cat back exhaust too :) wonder what its worth after all the upgrades? also has a new radiator 2k miles ago and the front end work all done at 94k miles and it has 124k now I am going to post it up officially once i get the abs module fixed
more importantly, what options do you have?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
more importantly, what options do you have?
umm options thatI know it doesnt have are heated seats nag and rear air bags. It has the phone, 6 disc changer, power rear shade, tons of other **** lol i dont know whats standard and whats optional.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts