BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC is not working right at all. Thought there was a leak and checked the low side pressure, only 20 lbs.
So I added 1 can of R124a and it worked fine for a couple days, then stopped.
I haven't used it for a few days, (110 out here) so picked up a couple cans of R134a and checked it today with engine fully warmed up and it came on fine. Pressure hasn't changed at all. 50lbs on low side (108 ambient temp)(was told that 45 to 55 is fine at our temps).
And the AC came on fine so didn't add anything. Drove for 1/2 hour with full AC, made a 15 min stop, came out and no AC, just a touch of cool when it's first turned on and then just ambient temp air.
Checked the pressure when I got home and it was like 85 lbs on the low side and didn't budge when the compressor kicked in. Tried it at highway speeds going to work and nothing. Then I get to work turn it on and it works for about a minute, then ambient air again.
Does this sound like air in the system or a bad valve somewhere? Any idea?

I can go get a proper manifold guage set and vacuum pump tomorrow to continue with what's needed.

Also, there's green dye in the system and no evidence of leaks that I've found as yet.

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,696 Posts
My AC is not working right at all. Thought there was a leak and checked the low side pressure, only 20 lbs.
So I added 1 can of R124a and it worked fine for a couple days, then stopped.
I haven't used it for a few days, (110 out here) so picked up a couple cans of R134a and checked it today with engine fully warmed up and it came on fine. Pressure hasn't changed at all. 50lbs on low side (108 ambient temp)(was told that 45 to 55 is fine at our temps).
And the AC came on fine so didn't add anything. Drove for 1/2 hour with full AC, made a 15 min stop, came out and no AC, just a touch of cool when it's first turned on and then just ambient temp air.
Checked the pressure when I got home and it was like 85 lbs on the low side and didn't budge when the compressor kicked in. Tried it at highway speeds going to work and nothing. Then I get to work turn it on and it works for about a minute, then ambient air again.
Does this sound like air in the system or a bad valve somewhere? Any idea?

I can go get a proper manifold guage set and vacuum pump tomorrow to continue with what's needed.

Also, there's green dye in the system and no evidence of leaks that I've found as yet.
Did you use R134a or one of the Booster/Stop Leak/R134a products? Often times the Booster/Stop Leak can gum up the expansion valves in the a/c system.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sadly, I believe the green dye R134a I put in to check for a leak had some stop leak. The other can had none.

Plus 2 years ago I went to Firestone (1 mile from home) to have them check and charge the system. They must have overcharged the system somehow because on the way home I got a major cloud of white smoke (refrigerant) out of the engine compartment. System worked pretty well after I got home and let it sit, but I never went back to them for anything. Scared the S**t out of me.
So I don't know what they put in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.