BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C compressor pully for my 2008 528xi E60 fell off while I was driving causing my belt to jump off and making it hard to turn. I am wondering if I have to buy the whole new compressor or can I just by the pully and the plate separately and where? I've been looking all over for it and cannot find the right one.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
You have to ask yourself WHY it fell off... if it was just due to a botched previous repair, then yeah, I'd try replacing just the clutch / pulley. I guess if the bolt is missing, it's got to be a bad previous repair.

Here's the first option I found - can't swear by the vendor, but looks to be an economical way to figure out if you have BIG problems, at least...

E60 eBay A/C compressor pulley / clutch

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,632 Posts
You want to have a look at this that MarkCh put together...

·
Registered
822 Posts
The video of the removal / reinstall of the pulley and clutch really puts it in perspective. I see that the 7mm (!) bolt on the front isn't a typical "capture bolt" but is apparently used to create an expansion of the shaft that runs through the internal part of the clutch, and it's not hard to see how it could possibly result in a loose pulley.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There is a clip ring that fits onto the front snout of the compressor. The bolt simply holds the clutch in place. On my A/C, the end of the compressor snout split where the ring attaches. I had to "stave" the new pulley in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts