BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everyone,

i have a '99 328i. i am having an odd problem with my a/c. i recently had my fan belt replaced. i'm not sure if this had anything to do with this but here goes, there is a loud clicking noise coming from the a/c compressor area. the clicking is only there when the a/c is on. while the car is idle i do not hear it, but when i press the accelerator the clicking is really loud from 1k to 2k rpm then practically gone by 2.2k rpms. the dealer said that i need to have the a/c compressor replaced. what does this sound like to you guys. the clicking noise is like the noise a card makes clicking on the spokes of a bicycle. also, is the a/c only supposed to blow cool air while you're pressing the accelerator and it doesn't when you don't press the accelerator?
thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Your A/C should be blowing cold even at idle although it might be a LITTLE cooler off idle. It does sound like the compressor clutch (it's a little different on BMW) might be going bad. That would explain both the noise and lack of cooling at idle. I'd be suspicious of the "fan belt" you had rplaced though. It's possible they did something to cause your problems since they were working in that area. I'd take it back to the place that changed your fan belt and ask them to check it and then take it to the dealer. I bet that compressor costs a pretty penny though. I'd be surprised if the clutch could not be changed without replacing the whole compressor but I have no experience on BMW A/C systems, only Jap. cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts