Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the FSU and where is it located? Fan seemed ot be operating fine on the way to the store. Didn't work on the return trip.

·
Registered
15,529 Posts
It's in the heater duct next to the glovebox. Search here for more info. Very common failure.

Final stage resistor, or final stage unit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
yea the final stage unit is a prob it drove me crazy ,a/c would cut out just when you need it most and then come on again when it was ready to. changed it (took 10 mins) and works perfect .

·
Registered
897 Posts
Is this related to the AUX FAN RELAY fault code? I'll have to read the codes tomorrow but that is next on my list of to do's.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I do not believe an FSU failure generates any fault code, as it is not related to engine operation, safety or emissions. At least I have never heard of such a thing. :dunno:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Using the Bavarian Technic software this is what I'm getting:

MODULE
Regulating Heating & Air Conditioning e39 Module ID
Module PN: 06916641
Then all sorts of date and software build codes
FAULT CODES
10: Relay Auxiliary Fan

I am assuming the only aux fan we have is for the A/C, is that the FSU module people are talking about here or is there a fuse or "relay" in this loop?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the guidence! I just swapped the failed one with one that I removed from my other E39 and that did the trick. Found a new one on the net for $70.00. Just like a lady, once you figure out the first one, the rest are easy...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts