BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1992 325i and the A/C needs a recharge but i went in and they said i will need some seals and stuff replaced which i dont want to pay for right now since winter is around the corner... But my dad said in his old truck the freon went low and it seized the pump and snapped the belt. i dont want to replace it so what can i do to unhook it and keep it from seizing and snapping the belt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It shouldnt sieze from the refrigerant being low. The reason a pump would sieze is a bad bearing int he pully, if the compressor isnt on. I wouldnt unhook it because you WILL get more moisture in the system and it will have to be put under vacuum for longer and possibly have more parts replaced. If you get anything done with your AC its going to cost you thats all there is to it. If there are leaks you have air/moisture in your system already, id get it fixed now but if you dont there shouldnt be any issues with your pump seizing.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,142 Posts
Unhook the wires going to the compressor clutch. The system stays sealed (or as much sealed as it is now) and the compressor can't lock and break the belt as long as the clutch bearings are good. (that's what bigbike was getting at).

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
what these guys said, but also the ac compressor will be requested to turn in when the defroster is turned on. it helps keep the windows unfogged. you could still keep the unit unplugged, but i would look into the rest of what is necessary for the next spring.

if you have any questions about the ac system i'd be more than happy to assist with the technicals.

df

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what these guys said, but also the ac compressor will be requested to turn in when the defroster is turned on. it helps keep the windows unfogged. you could still keep the unit unplugged, but i would look into the rest of what is necessary for the next spring.

if you have any questions about the ac system i'd be more than happy to assist with the technicals.

df
Thanks so much! so your saying i should keep it plugged in and the belt on? i will need the defrost lol im in canada.. enough said lol

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
if the system is too low, the low pressure switch should keep it from coming on.

however, if you are simply low, then you have a leak. this may or may not get worse with the colder temps due to expansion/contraction.

compressors will sieze due to lack of oil, not refrigerant. the refirgerant will carry the oil all throuth the system, and also out of the system, when there is a leak. this is why i do not advocate simply charging a system without replacing the oil and resealing the o-rings.

if it needs to be repaired, it can be done. you just need to get the system evacuated first, then you can reseal/replace necessary components (accumulator, seals, metering block) and have the system 'sucked down' (vacuum pulled).

then recharge with the correct amount of refrigerant.

you will need guages, and possibly you may be able to rent a vacuum pump, but the initial evac will need to be done by a shop. (check the local laws about releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere)

df

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the system is too low, the low pressure switch should keep it from coming on.

however, if you are simply low, then you have a leak. this may or may not get worse with the colder temps due to expansion/contraction.

compressors will sieze due to lack of oil, not refrigerant. the refirgerant will carry the oil all throuth the system, and also out of the system, when there is a leak. this is why i do not advocate simply charging a system without replacing the oil and resealing the o-rings.

if it needs to be repaired, it can be done. you just need to get the system evacuated first, then you can reseal/replace necessary components (accumulator, seals, metering block) and have the system 'sucked down' (vacuum pulled).

then recharge with the correct amount of refrigerant.

you will need guages, and possibly you may be able to rent a vacuum pump, but the initial evac will need to be done by a shop. (check the local laws about releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere)

df
Thanks so much i have a friend who works at a shop but he couldn't tell me exactly so ill take it there and have another mechanic look at it then cause i don't have the time to do all the work myself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts