BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BimmerFreak
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

The weather in NYC is just so fluctuating that its crazy. but with recent heat waves, AC is very important and my car's AC doesnt seem to cool. I have a 2013 535i and just recently the car cabin was very hot and I kept the AC on for the entire trip of 35 miles and the car didnt cool. I lowered the temperature to 60 and had on full, all it blows is air with very minimal cold air. I have a Honda accord and the minute i turn the AC, it starts to freeze.
Also, when I turn the AC on or when i turn it off, there seems to be a noise of air tripping from the back of the dashboard. I'm sorry im noob in this and this is why I need you geniuses to help me.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've found, from past BMW's I've owned and now the same model/year as you that the AC is not as "good" as in a Honda Accord which I also had. With the AC on in the Accord, you could see condensation forming around the vents it was so cold. With the BMW I have to crank it to full to get half of what I would get in the Accord. What's most peculiar, the side vents hardly produce any air from them unless cranked up to close to full blast.

How do you have the AC set, mine is front and bottom by the feat. Found that's the best way for me to get cooler quicker.

·
BimmerFreak
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I tried every combination and yet none have been so good so far. Im not saying the system is not working, it blasts so much air, but it doenst cool. Its like running on fan sort of. If I need to know how I can diagnose on my own, where do i start from?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Look at the middle vents and in between will be a little knob you can move up/down, is yours set to red (warm air) or blue (cold air)?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just had mine replaced on 2014 F10. SA told me known failure. I'm in NJ and first noticed a few weeks ago, but with fluctuating weather hard to tell, until it was hot (above mid 80's) and humid.

It was wonderful today with it working.

·
BimmerFreak
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I'm cooking in my cabin. Just made an appointment with the dealer. Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

·
Registered
647 Posts
Switch out of automatic mode, manually select the vents facing your face and select temperature below 70 and it will be far colder than the automatic mode alone. I do this manually on all my BMW and Audi to get the stronger colder and hotter air.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,773 Posts
I never go out of Auto mode, and my '14 535i AC works perfectly, as did my prior '11. You don't have to change the red/blue center wheel. Leave it centered and it follows the default air temp being delivered. Something is obviously wrong with the OP's AC.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This happened to me recently...twice. My a/c went out and just blew air. When the '*' a/c button is on, it made a sort of whistling sound. Trust me, first world problems but it was torture driving a whole week in the SoCal heat with all the windows down. Took it in, they fixed it claiming it was a leaky gasket or something. 2 weeks later a/c went out again so I took it back and they finally found the issue. It was a cracked radiator+bad condenser. CPO covered it but I'm afraid since my CPO ends next month, I'll be up sh*t creek if it happens again.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Google A/C on bimmerfest for F10 or on web. My SA said it should have been a recall. Mine lasted nearly 3 years and then poof on a humid hot day. I got no drama getting that fixed. They just broke something else fixing the ac.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
Look at how soft we've become. In the early fifties when I was under 10 years old, my dad was co-owner of a service station and I loved hanging out there. One day in came a new Cadillac with this new fangled feature: air conditioning! On a hot summer day, no less, so I crawled into the customer's car to cool off. I thought it was the most amazing thing. Now I am as pissed as anyone when the ac doesn't work, whether in a car or house or office.

The new freon subsitutes are not as efficient as freon in cooling, but the OP seems to have a system issue. It could be a gas issue (but any leaks would have to be chased down) and it also could be the compressor. A 2013 should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lately i noticed that my 2010 on a hot day takes some time to start blowing cold air. Only after being ON (*) a minimum 1h it start blowing cool air, untill then only a warm air goes in... So i recon it might be a time to re-fill the gas..

·
Registered
736 Posts
Look at how soft we've become. In the early fifties when I was under 10 years old, my dad was co-owner of a service station and I loved hanging out there. One day in came a new Caddilac with this new fangled feature: air conditioning! Ona hot summer day, no less, so I crawled into the customer's car to cool off. I thought it was the most amazing thing. Now I am as pissed as anyone when the ac doesn't work, whether in a car or house or office.

The new freon subsitutes are not as efficient as freon in cooling, but the OP seems to have a system issue. It could be a gas issue (but any leaks would have to be chased down) and it also could be the compressor. A 2013 should still be under warranty.
Mine was the compressor. Same symptoms as OP. This was my fourth BMW. so I knew how to adjust or not the settings for AC. Normally it can be a meat locker.

Take it in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts