BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Are you trying to turn the car into a stripped racer? If so, AC (and heater, seats, carpet, etc) components are pretty heavy, so it might be worth yanking it all out.

If you're actually normally gonna drive the thing, leave it in; just leave the system off when you're trying to haul ass. :D

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
I remember a number of somewhere near 70 pounds if you take out every piece of it. The compressor is the big heavy piece, but there are a bunch of hoses, the condenser (in front of the radiator) and the evaporator (in the heater box inside the car). Do realise that BMW CAA Club Racing requires you keep the compressor for Stock classes, the rest of the stuff can go.

But do realise that even in Seattle it is useful, it really helps in defogging the windshield.

·
Registered
337 Posts
70 pounds? I have an extra compressor from the 3.2, and I dont remember it being that heavy. The condensor cant weight that much can it?

I hardly use AC, but I would never ditch it, cause you know the day I do, we're gonna have some global warming heat wave

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
chukiechz said:
70 pounds? I have an extra compressor from the 3.2, and I dont remember it being that heavy. The condensor cant weight that much can it?

I hardly use AC, but I would never ditch it, cause you know the day I do, we're gonna have some global warming heat wave
I don't remember where I got the number. But figure. There is the compressor. 2 - 3 pounds of Freon. The clutch, the belt, the hoses, the receiver/dryer, the condensor, the evaporator, the control valve. It adds up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.