BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, my first time to ask for help! I usually finds similar problems here and find a solution for it but not this one!

My problem started last month when I changed the headlights and removed the negative of the battery. That day after I connected the battery back and I connected my computer to check the ECU and make sure everything it's ok, I found out that I have problem with Map Cooling (P1622) and once I cleared it and removed the cable, there was a huge white steam or a smoke came out from the Exhaust side and it has funny smell like some kind of gas and instantly the A/C lost the cold air! Every time that happened I have to fill some Freon to make it as cold as before and I also noticed that the auxiliary fan doesn't work all the time as before!!!

I checked the fuses for the auxiliary fan and it's all good, I connected the fan to straight DC and it worked fine!

I have no over heating problem and temperature gauge points in the middle as it supposed to be knowing also that I live in Memphis TN and it's 100F degrees all day! Also, am not loosing power or anything like that!

Could it be the thermostat (P1622) that make the auxiliary fan disfunction and cause that leak of gas?! or is it something else?

BTW, I have an 528i 2000 ( My poor Lilly :-( )

:dunno::dunno::dunno::mad:

·
ALGhoul
1,254 Posts
It's seem your pcv valve is shot cause of that smoke of gas on exhaust
And you need to replace your thermostat before troubleshooting your ac system

·
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!
549 Posts
Map cooling cel is related to your aux fan. It is most likely toast. You need to replace it. I'd imagine your ac probably works fine once you are driving at speed however once you sit idle you air becomes warm. This is because your aux fan is not working. This leads to very high ac pressure and that white smoke is your freon being released into the atmosphere because the ac system can not hold the pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's seem your pcv valve is shot cause of that smoke of gas on exhaust
And you need to replace your thermostat before troubleshooting your ac system
If the PCV is shot I would have much bigger problem than A/C! The car is powerful and has the same kick as it was 2 years ago and nothing changed on performance wise. I'll make a quick check just to make sure though, Thank you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Map cooling cel is related to your aux fan. It is most likely toast. You need to replace it. I'd imagine your ac probably works fine once you are driving at speed however once you sit idle you air becomes warm. This is because your aux fan is not working. This leads to very high ac pressure and that white smoke is your freon being released into the atmosphere because the ac system can not hold the pressure.
To be honest, I didn't drive the car since that happened! I don't want to cause any further problems specially with faulty thermostat even though that am pretty sure it's stuck open since the car operate in normal temperature and won't cause me problem as much as if it was closed. But your explanation make sense! I will drive it around today and see if it's give me a cold air or not! Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts