BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few 'moded' E46 [wannabe M3] pics

I spotted this in front of my office yesterday on my way out. I had my camera so I snapped a few pics for the Hamann fans here. There is another guy that parks here sometimes with a car that looks identical except for it has HUGE stickers all over it (I wonder if he just removed his stickers?). I think they both have every possible Hamann option. I didn't get any interior shots, the seats are embroidered with 'Hamann' and everything. It has a manual tranny.

Wheel Power?

[Cringe] As the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice...

To each their own I guess. I'm sure these mods weren't cheap, and the fenders look like they were painted pretty well - which is difficult to do with black. Personally I would take one stock E46 M3 over three of these, though the brakes are a nice mod. :D

The pics really didn't come out so great, but I do have high resolution shots of the car if the owner wants them.

--SONET

Edit: Tried to cover my stupidity. :D

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
Are you sure it's an M3? No hood "power" bulge, no side "gills" and isn't the reflector on the front fender of the M3 in the molding?

Although with all of those mods it may have a new hood and fenders...

I'm sorry but that's ugly IMO :thumbdwn:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
That is not an M3

No vent fan behind the kidney grills, no bulge, no M3 interior or exterior mirrors...also even though the fenders are altered, the rest of the car is not as wide as a real M3. Hamman makes a dual exhuast for non-Ms too. The pipes are much further apart than a real M3.

Manual trans though, not M3 SMG

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mike 325xi said:
Are you sure it's an M3? No hood "power" bulge, no side "gills" and isn't the reflector on the front fender of the M3 in the molding?

Although with all of those mods it may have a new hood and fenders...

I'm sorry but that's ugly IMO :thumbdwn:
Good point Mike, maybe a 325 in hiding

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
nate328Ci said:
That is not an M3

No vent fan behind the kidney grills, no bulge, no M3 interior or exterior mirrors...also even though the fenders are altered, the rest of the car is not as wide as a real M3. Hamman makes a dual exhuast for non-Ms too. The pipes are much further apart than a real M3.

Manual trans though, not M3 SMG
Well, the side mirrors are (E36) M3 ones, aren't they? :p

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right, that isn't an M3. I can't believe I didn't even look for those obvious things. I guess with all those mods I just assumed it had to be an M3 heh.

It makes it that much worse though, with all those mods there is no question that he could have had an M3 and probably for considerably less money. With the way it looks, it better at least be supercharged. If it is a stock 325 or even 330 then that is pretty sad. With looks like that it should have at least 350HP :D

Again, my bad!

--SONET

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
SONET said:
You're right, that isn't an M3. I can't believe I didn't even look for those obvious things. I guess with all those mods I just assumed it had to be an M3 heh.

It makes it that much worse though, with all those mods there is no question that he could have had an M3 and probably for considerably less money. With the way it looks, it better at least be supercharged. If it is a stock 325 or even 330 then that is pretty sad. With looks like that it should have at least 350HP :D

Again, my bad!

--SONET
That looks like a 330... The rear disks seem to be stock, and I think they are 330's judging by their size... 325's are smaller...

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I saw an M3 a few weeks ago during lunch. A colleague said--- that's not an M3... look--- it's a 328.

Sure enough it had a 328 badge on it. But it had the side gills... I was incredulous that anyone would retrofit the M3 fenders onto a 328.

I went in close for a double take... M3 wheels, quad exhaust, even power dome on the hood.... everything was M3 about the car. Then I looked at the badge carefully... it said "328i".

Instead of debadging his M3... he misbadged it.

This guy here wasted his money.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
FlyingToaster said:
That is the Hamann "Wide Body Kit" applied on a non-M3. The kit runs about $5K retail with only body modifications; not including wheels, brakes, or engine modifications.
:yikes: Could have saved for an M3 at that point. Hell, the brakes alone would be another $2k+...:rolleyes:

·
AWD? In California?
133 Posts
It's the Wheel Power (exclusive US distributor of Hamann products) widebody 330 show car. Hamann makes all the parts on the car, incl. the widebody fenders (which I personally think are ugly), wheels, bumpers, and spoilers. I'm not sure who gets to drive it but I imagine they're pretty high up in the Wheel Power administration hierarchy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.